• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do companies decide what sort of power supply ~topography?~ to use?

GeorgeBynum

Back in the late 60s and early 70s when I worked (co-op engineering technician) for a two-way radio manufacturer, SMPS were being introduced to us for bench work. THEN, they were a poor choice; a minimum load was required, commonly in the 10% to 20% of full load range. Accidentally operate unloaded and all of the magic smoke escaped. We used HP linears, usually adjustable from 0-32V to about 2A on our development benches. To power the 100W (output) units, most test stations used 40A 5-16V units. We had one test station for stuff that flew and for large trucks, that got to about 36 V ... we had to test to 120% of 28V. 100W and most 25W transmitters still used tube finals with vibrators. We were introducing 25W all solid state units when I graduated in 1972.

egellings

Major Contributor
Just hey, dad burn it!. At 72, I am thoroughly Modern Millie with my switchmode amplification.

Top Bottom