• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How can I improve my audio experience?

Pancreas

This is my setup. I have Genelec 8030C and Focusrite Scarlett Solo. I'm a guitar player and I use DSP plugins to creates ultra-realistic digital models of analog guitar amplifiers. Eventually, I may buy a physical preamp processor such as Fractal Axe FX, as is higher quality tone and doesn't bind you the computer.

I would definitely need a new audio interface with more TRS outputs. I also need to get the Genelec stands to put the speakers more at ear level.

Considering the centerpiece of my audio setup are the Genelec, what else can I add to improve my audio experience? Maybe a subwoofer and place under my desk.

Would adding a soundbar, connecting it to a new audio interface and placing it below my monitor, help in any way? make the experience worse?

Genelec doesn't make soundbars.

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-28 at 09.25.16.jpg

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
100% this ^^^^^

Don’t even think about a soundbar. Sorry really bad idea and there is a reason why Genelec don’t make one. You have great small speakers.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. You can also use table top microphone stands by K&M like I do for the 8020s.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheap option: get the Genelec table stands for the speakers.

Not as cheap option: upgrade speakers to 8330, add 7350 with GLM.

Bonkers option: upgrade speakers to 8351 with a bigger sub.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Just forgot one thing. You can do RoomEQ for example that would certainly improve your sound. Get eg UMIK1 (100USD), REW measuring software (free) and APOEQ as a software EQ (also free) in which to plug in compensation filters derived from REW.

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Cheap option: get the Genelec table stands for the speakers.

Not as cheap option: upgrade speakers to 8330, add 7350 with GLM.

Bonkers option: upgrade speakers to 8351 with a bigger sub.

I actually got these speakers a few months ago from a local guitarist for $900, they were literally brand new and made in July 2022. He was selling them on Reverb, but happened to live in my area, so we met up and paid cash. These speakers cost $1400 new. I signed up for the extended warranty on them.

As much as I'd love to have the more expensive ones, they cost a lot.

The subs are also expensive lol the 7040A is the cheapest and smallest one like $850-895

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually got these speakers a few months ago from a local guitarist for $900, they were literally brand new and made in July 2022. He was selling them on Reverb, but happened to live in my area, so we met up and paid cash. These speakers cost $1400 new. I signed up for the extended warranty on them.

As much as I'd love to have the more expensive ones, they cost a lot.

The subs are also expensive lol the 7040A is the cheapest and smallest one like $850-895

Yeah, Genelec subs, not so great value.

So, after the stands maybe a minidsp with a mic. The next one would be some competent sub used. If you are in USA i think you can get good one for 300-400?

Sub without any room treatment I wouldn't recommend anyway. You might think it can't make the sound worse. But it can, I have tried.

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A sub with some controls on it, is in a sense a type of room treatment. I don't agree that adding a sub would be a bad thing. It may or may not be, depending on how it is implemented.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
For starters clean the table, put UPS down and do something with console and play with speak positioning as much as you can. Move them from the back wall, actually move whole table from it as much as circumstances allow.
As you have a lot of input sources in this case (as I don't recommend it so often) see the MiniDSP SHD full futured (with UMIK MK 1 included... don't know if this version includes room correction and you do nead/want one) if you have money for it.
Edit: it does support Dirac Live.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
He uses an audio interface anyway so no MiniDSP needed. He can do it all in APOEQ and REW on his PC. Save yourself the money for a good sub in the future.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Yeah, Genelec subs, not so great value.

So, after the stands maybe a minidsp with a mic. The next one would be some competent sub used. If you are in USA i think you can get good one for 300-400?

Sub without any room treatment I wouldn't recommend anyway. You might think it can't make the sound worse. But it can, I have tried.

what's the benefit of having a Mini dsp vs an audio interface?

The mini DSP has usb, would I be able to connect to my PC with that?

would i have to replace my audio interface with Mini dsp?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
He uses an audio interface anyway so no MiniDSP needed. He can do it all in APOEQ and REW on his PC. Save yourself the money for a good sub in the future.
He uses; PC, two different consoles, guitar and who knows what else. Question whose how to improve his experience and centralising control for all in this case really makes sense.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

For starters clean the table, put UPS down and do something with console and play with speak positioning as much as you can. Move them from the back wall, actually move whole table from it as much as circumstances allow.
As you have a lot of input sources in this case (as I don't recommend it so often) see the MiniDSP SHD full futured (with UMIK MK 1 included... don't know if this version includes room correction and you do nead/want one) if you have money for it.
Edit: it does support Dirac Live.
He uses; PC, two different consoles, guitar and who knows what else. Question whose how to improve his experience and centralising control for all in this case really makes sense.

the table is clean lol that's just the patterns of birch wood

I'm trying figure out the benefits of having this MiniDSP vs an audio interface.

This is my gear

- ps5 console
- speakers
- HP computer (is not an XBOX)
- guitar is irrelevant, this is connected to the audio interface instrument in
- computer monitor
- that's it

I have the speakers connected to the audio interface via TRS cables, then interface connected to PC (not an xbox) with USB.

I do plan on getting a better interface with more ports and its own power supply

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
what's the benefit of having a Mini dsp vs an audio interface?

The mini DSP has usb, would I be able to connect to my PC with that?

would i have to replace my audio interface with Mini dsp?
It's pretty much a Swiss knife in small packaging. Read about it (a lot)! I usually don't recommend it because there are ways to do it on PC for lot less money but not independent from the source.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the table is clean lol that's just the patterns of birch wood

I'm trying figure out the benefits of having this MiniDSP vs an audio interface.

With help from REW and measurement mic you can get a set of filters to correct the response of your speakers. The correction is specific to your speakers and room so it's the same regardless of source. So, you connect both your PC and PS5 to the minidsp with digital connection and then the minidsp to the speakers. Basically you create the filters once and after that the minidsp becomes just another box with no need to tweak it further.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

With help from REW and measurement mic you can get a set of filters to correct the response of your speakers. The correction is specific to your speakers and room so it's the same regardless of source. So, you connect both your PC and PS5 to the minidsp with digital connection and then the minidsp to the speakers. Basically you create the filters once and after that the minidsp becomes just another box with no need to tweak it further.

the ps5 only has HDMI connection tho lol the way i get sound from the ps5 through my speaker is this way

ps5 hdmi -- computer monitor with built-in speakers --- computer monitor headphone in to computer line in jack ---- computer connected to audio interface via USB --- interface connected to Genelec speaker with TRS to XLR cable.

Basically, the computer has to be on more me to hear PS5 sound through my speakers.

Another way, would to get an interface with its own power supply and more TRS outputs, then connected computer monitor to interface with a 3.5mm to 2 TRS cable.

The same could be accomplished with the Mini DSP, I would need the same cable.

The problem here is this Mini DSP only has 4 outputs and you have to pay more for balanced. The 8 output versions only has unbalanced outputs.

It may work if all I use is my speakers.

I honestly don't understand the main benefit of this Mini DSP vs a comparable audio interface with similar output/inputs

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
As much as I know PS5 has a USB audio output (tho not sure is it USBA 1.0 only).
I don't even know what do you need/want.
Look at the MiniDSP as relatively configurable standalone IO digital interface with loads of goodies like Dirac, net streaming, digital outs (including digital one for Genelecs that suport such trogh LRX)... (lot of reading) ... (lot of reading) ... You don't like it or it's not really suitable for your needs or there is no config you really want is entirely up to you.
Best regards and happy hunting.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

As much as I know PS5 has a USB audio output (tho not sure is it USBA 1.0 only).
I don't even know what do you need/want.
Look at the MiniDSP as relatively configurable standalone IO digital interface with loads of goodies like Dirac, net streaming, digital outs (including digital one for Genelecs that suport such trogh LRX)... (lot of reading) ... (lot of reading) ... You don't like it or it's not really suitable for your needs or there is no config you really want is entirely up to you.
Best regards and happy hunting.

I just realized I have surround option enabled on the ps5 I don't know why, but since i only have 2 speakers, makes no difference

Literally is impossible to get surround with ps5 and speakers unless you actually have 5 or 7 speakers

in other words, virtual surround on the ps5 only exists for HEADPHONES

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I just realized I have surround option enabled on the ps5 I don't know why, but since i only have 2 speakers, makes no difference

Literally is impossible to get surround with ps5 and speakers unless you actually have 5 or 7 speakers

in other words, virtual surround on the ps5 only exists for HEADPHONES
Surround is portable trogh AVR's with matching Dolby's and limited to supported one's with audio extractors (HDMI to optical coax/Toslink bit stream to decoder which again needs to have decoder for such). Thing is I don't think you really need surround, better focus on proper stereo including pair of sub's if you have requirements for such. But again it's up to you.
Best regards and have a nice time.

Top Bottom