• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How bad is this on a subwoofer and can it be repaired without much degradation?

GabrielPhoto

Hi!
I was wondering how bad this is and if it can be repaired easily maybe?
I was getting this sub for $700 but it got ripped on the way here .

Attachments

• 20231121_134700.jpg
    20231121_134700.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 68

staticV3

Master Contributor
Monoprice use nitrile rubber for their woofer surrounds. Whether you can find an adhesive that can bond to that and stays flexible enough to withstand the violent movement in the long term, I don't know. I have my doubts.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt Monolith can help with a repair kit in any case, even a replacement driver they may not have. Maybe you can repair it as mentioned, but I also have my doubts (and tried once upon a time with a mid-woofer and failed). Maybe contact a dedicated speaker repair outfit....

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I would give it a try with RTV or maybe hot glue. You are unlikely to make things worse.

If you replace the woofer, try to get the exact one, especially if it's a ported box because the box is "tuned" to work with the driver. And assuming it's an active sub, the amplifier might be EQ'd to optimize performance of that woofer in that box, even if it's a sealed design.

There are places that specialize in speaker "reconing. They can repair almost anything and it certainly won't cost $700.

Or you can by a different woofer and use the Theile-Small parameters with speaker design software to check the performance in the box, and maybe determine some port modifications, or the software will tell you if a ported or sealed design is better with a particular driver, etc.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Parts Express sells speaker surround repair kits. I used one once to redo foam surrounds on some 30 year old 18" Pyle drivers (back when they still made good stuff) and it worked well enough but I replaced the drivers within a year after that so can't speak to how long lasting the adhesive in the kit is.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
Top Bottom