• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hold off your purchases?

delta76

Major Contributor
I'm tempted to buy a Yamaha A-S301/501, looks good, solid piece of engineering price seems right etc. No that I need it, more like I "want to try". Only until I check the price graph

1658394720848.png
So compared to 2 years ago, price almost doubled. WTF. And not only these, many other things like AVRs also price rocketed.
Yes I'm aware of covid, component shortage and inflation, blah blah, but that's insane.

I'm thinking maybe if I hold on a bit longer, it will be back where it was before

Or maybe it's a hopeful thought? Will price will only go north?
Anyone on the same boat ?

TSB

If I knew how to predict price changes of electronics, I would be very,very rich. However, I can tell you that chip shortages and high prices from factories are still a real thing across the board. :)

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
If I knew how to predict price changes of electronics, I would be very,very rich. However, I can tell you that chip shortages and high prices from factories are still a real thing across the board. :)
true, but at least we can predict the trend.
So you work in the industry or have some close connections? (genuine question :) )

DSJR

Major Contributor
It happened after the 2008 financial situation, prices of audio gear rising well over currency adjustment levels I felt. Mind you, the number of units sold vs. costs per piece sold may well have caused it, but to see a pickup cartridge which cost £60 in 1986 now costing £600 albeit with Shibata stylus in an otherwise identical generator (and another one routinely £80 in 2008 now nearly £300) really irks me.

Not sure how many Yamaha units are sold in Europe these days, but shipping is a killer and maybe that's also had something to do with it, as I suspect a container-load isn't as cheap to send over as it once was?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
We have a global economic crisis, inflation and supply shortages. Watch the news. No one can predict when and if it comes down.

My guess. Not for some time and there is risk that it will even go up further.

So hedge your bets.

Willem

Major Contributor
A little while ago shipping a container from Asia that previously had cost $2000 had gone up to $15000. I am not sure about now.

Last edited:

TSB

true, but at least we can predict the trend.
So you work in the industry or have some close connections? (genuine question :) )
I work in the industry :) AFAIK we expect shortages for our stuff to last at least for another year, impacting a bunch of high-end audio companies we work with

Reactions: GDK
OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
I work in the industry :) AFAIK we expect shortages for our stuff to last at least for another year, impacting a bunch of high-end audio companies we work with
Right. So financial wise it is best to lay low for another year. Guess I can do that.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A little while ago shipping a container from Asia that previouslyhad cost $2000 had gone up to $15000. I am not sure about now.
Still in the $8000-10000 range...

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
We have a global economic crisis, inflation and supply shortages. Watch the news. No one can predict when and if it comes down.

My guess. Not for some time and there is risk that it will even go up further.

So hedge your bets.
I do watch the news. Probably more than I should. Just trying to get a feeling of where this is going. People with better knowledge in the industry could probably give some more educated guesses (as Timon did :) )

OP
D

delta76

Major Contributor
Still in the $8000-10000 range...
Out of curiousity, why the high jump? Oil price did not jump that much. Was it the war that make it more risky to ship (i.e. higher insurance cost)

Or because of Chinese lock down? But that should not impact the price of shipping I assume?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm holding off too for reasons of price, yes, but also to wait for HDMI 2.1 to become a baseline standard. I use my audio gear in gaming and it's a nice feature to be able to push 120 frames in 4K.

Other than that, I hope the rumors of Dirac on sound united products or Audyssey catching up are true; if I'm going to upgrade, I really want to see that upgrade where electronics make the biggest difference: EQ.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Out of curiousity, why the high jump? Oil price did not jump that much. Was it the war that make it more risky to ship (i.e. higher insurance cost)

Or because of Chinese lock down? But that should not impact the price of shipping I assume?
Container shipping prices are high for some years now, COVID started it but now sure why it's still going on.

Willem

Major Contributor

Industry began to pick up after the worst of Covid had passed, but shipping companies had been too pessimistic and reduced capacity. War in Ukraine is only recent, but the biggest shipping price hike was much earlier. On top of that there were real issues with manufacturing under Covid conditions, in China, but also elsewhere in Asia, and not just chips and audio, and not all of it Covid related (like the AKM fire).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Consider the R-N range as much as I can see R-N803 can still easily be found for 750~800€ pair it with Polk R200 (706~750€) and you are done (whole system for less than 1500€). If you want a more budget oriented system then go for R-N402D (450~500€ new) and Elac Reference DBR62 (500€) and you have whole system (- stands and cables) for less than 1000 €.

MCH

Major Contributor
Well, remember these amps are not commodities. While all the mentioned surely matters, the launch of a new model or a new standard can bring the prices down from one day to the other.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor

Venture capitalism. Don't forget now cork is in Asia and land supply rote is cut.

D

Deleted member 19122

Despite all this supposed supply chain etc,corporate profits are at an all time high.The old adage "never let a good crisis go to waste" comes to mind.I'd wait till the prices come down if you don't need it right now.Cause it's coming.The way energy prices/inflation are heading soon large segments of the population won't be able to afford non essential goods.I mean look at OLED tv prices,they go down/stay same but simple crap like avr's go up.Plus at least here in the EU distributors/importers are known for gouging already so now is the time to "make hay" as they say.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Not an economist. I don't even play one on TV or the Internet :D, but .. these are basic economics arithmetic. We, the entire world , have injected about $15 Trillions, in the global economy. The term "injected" is an euphemism for "printing" money or creating it out of ..... The US alone have "injected" around $4 trillions in their economy, China? We don't know but it might be more than we think we know, in which case, the so called15 Trillions estimates may be more like 17 ... while the world output of goods was decreasing, for various reasons some of these non-covid related ... What did we expect to happen, if not a rise in prices? Plus the very fact that the world economy has not, yet, entirely recovered and the threats of another pandemic still present? Many of us have more currency aka money, in our hands, but are not able to buy the same quantity of goods we used to... This is called inflation. it affects everything. It should be noted in passing that the World Economies/Governments, seem to prefer a certain level of high Inflation to deflation. It is most dreaded, and for some (historically?) valid reasons.

Read this Article from Reuters

I don't see prices going down globally anytime soon, perhaps never, especially for non-commodities. I actually believe that if you have the means, to acquire equipment of quality, please do it and keep it for a long time. Electronics will not change that much , software may but...

In conclusion: If you can, buy, it ain't getting cheaper.

Peace.

Top Bottom