• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hitmaker crossover layout.

trivium

Does anyone have a finished layout for Paul Carmodys hitmakers? I just built a set of classix ii as well, I was able to find a crossover layout so it was really simple. I’m building these for Father’s Day for my Dad, any help would be appreciated.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can probably find Paul on Tech Talk:

MAB

Major Contributor
Does anyone have a finished layout for Paul Carmodys hitmakers? I just built a set of classix ii as well, I was able to find a crossover layout so it was really simple. I’m building these for Father’s Day for my Dad, any help would be appreciated.
He published the schematic:

badspeakerdesigner

I always order PCB's from Matt Grant if they are available for the speaker I'm building, makes the job a million times easier and cleaner. He has hitmaker PCB's on ebay if you're interested.

badspeakerdesigner

OP
T

trivium

badspeakerdesigner

yeah this actually helps, I won't buy them as they are expensive for what they are but I use the images to help, thanks.

They are not at all expensive for what they are. Cost of fast food meal for two gets you two great PCB's, solves layout and connection issues for you, comes with stand offs, screws, and terminals.

MAB

Major Contributor
Yes but I have no idea what im doing as far as the layout is concerned.
Well I'm not very helpful!!! Let me make a better attempt!
1683302152508.png

1683302311164.png

Hopefully this helps with the layout.

Good luck!

Reactions: gab
OP
T

trivium

Found this online and compared it to the schematic. It worked well on both crossovers, almost done the speakers. I also used lexan cut into 4x6 pieces. Hot glue on everything, then drill out holes for zip ties on the inductors. Sorry but $20 USD for each board plus shipping to Canada is just too expensive for what it is. Your picture helped though I just need to think of the single line drawing as Positive and Negative Rail, than inputs and outputs of each component. It's actually not that hard, it was actually easy to verify this layout aswell. I just needed to be in the right head space. Thanks Guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 3.48.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 3.48.30 PM.png
    287.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
OP
T

trivium

Finished the build guys, they sound spectacular, they are better than the Q150's I had. Also I compared the classix II I built and I prefer its sound over the Q100's in my living room. The classix II have a certain dynamic quality, with drum kicks and flamenco golpes. The Hitmakers pull a surprisingly amount of detail, the treble is extended but not piercing, they have a certain 'live sound' to them. My computer desk has turned into a miniature live soundstage.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lexan? Sheesh. When I was poor I used pegboard :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad you like them. Paul has a rep for making enjoyable speakers.

OP
T

trivium

Lexan? Sheesh. When I was poor I used pegboard :D
It's what I had, it works well and looks better than pegboard IMO. I just do everything on the surface since the circuits are pretty simple. I know that the hitmakers are designed for near field use, is there any reason that you can't use them further away? I only ask as I've seen people compare them to the ELAC DBR6's which are not near field. Im not poor, just cheap, but thats why im not poor.... plus it allows me to buy focal arias for my listening room, :p.

Reactions: MAB

automojo

yeah this actually helps, I won't buy them as they are expensive for what they are but I use the images to help, thanks.
$20 for the pair shipped+plus standoff/screws and input/output binding posts expensive?? A no brainer IMHO. I have built about 20 pairs of these for various customers-with a number of different finishes. They need a decent 50-70 watt amp. I test mine-break them in with a original Peachtree Decco amp. More then enough juice. Although I've used a pair with a 40 watt Prima Luna Prologue amps more then a few times with great success. The included Dayton/Bennic caps are lame-the small parallel is fine. The best caps I have found are Mundorf Evo Aluminum Oil for the 6.8uf, and Clarity CSA for the 8.2. Fairly inexpensive-but massive gains in realism-and ease of sound. They make it much easier to hear the details greyed over by the Bennics-without being bright or harsh.
They don't need a sub. If you need more bass-get a pair of floor standers.
But getting to the original point-IMHO get the crossover boards-you will be glad you did.
Don't over think, or under spend a simple project like this-life's too short.

Last edited:
Top Bottom