• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Arya Review (headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 56 18.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 135 45.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 97 32.3%

• Total voters

jmillar

Well. Amir has reviewed both (well the He6 SE v1, not the V2 Adorama) so read both reviews .I think he would overall rate the HE6 higher but guess would say the Arya spatial properties post EQ are better.

Sidegrade more than upgrade I would have thought.
The HE-6SEv2 are indeed superb. But alas, in the EU there doesn't appear to be an "Adorama version". They cost €1800. At this price there are a number of worthy contenders.
(And they may require a new amp: they are hard to drive properly)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The HE-6SEv2 are indeed superb. But alas, in the EU there doesn't appear to be an "Adorama version". They cost €1800. At this price there are a number of worthy contenders.
Keep your eye on the Hifiman webstore. I got some V2 open box from there. Shipped from China but total cost was around £550. The V1 sometimes goes on offer too.

jmillar

That's nothing more than the psychoacoustic illusion from how the headphone feels on your head. Spatial quality discussions should just be replaced with clamp force and pad dimensions.
Ok, but how can you measure soundstage in an "objectivist" way TODAY? It's there, we hear it, you can tell some gear blindfolfed (speakers, so NO clamp force or pads). This field has begun to be studied quite recently.

HRTF_Enthusiast

No it can’t. I have both set of cans
and there is no way I can make my 600’s sound like the 800’s with a 30 band eq
Use ear canal microphones and prove that they are the same. You might be putting too much reliance on HATS measurements.

HRTF_Enthusiast

Ok, but how can you measure soundstage in an "objectivist" way TODAY? It's there, we hear it, you can tell some gear blindfolfed (speakers, so NO clamp force or pads). This field has begun to be studied quite recently.
For speakers, it's just the level of diffuse sound minus the level of direct sound

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ime, frequency response in the pinna gain region is very important for reproducing soundstage/spatial cues faithfully.
Both my HD600 and ER4XR sound unnaturally and uncomfortably "pushed inside your head" out of the box and both open up considerably when EQed.

Snoopy

Major Contributor

Hifiman stuff often goes on sale and you get open box stuff shipped from a polish wharehouse very cheap and tax free. Like the hifiman ananda go regularly for 500€ and the HE-6Se V2 went for something like 750€ or even less not that long ago.

The Jade 2 for 920€ incl shipping and tax.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ime, frequency response in the pinna gain region is very important for reproducing soundstage/spatial cues faithfully.
Both my HD600 and ER4XR sound unnaturally and uncomfortably "pushed inside your head" out of the box and both open up considerably when EQed.
Would you mind pm me your eq filters for the Ety 4XR please.

HRTF_Enthusiast

Hifiman stuff often goes on sale and you get open box stuff shipped from a polish wharehouse very cheap and tax free. Like the hifiman ananda go regularly for 500€ and the HE-6Se V2 went for something like 750€ or even less not that long ago.

The Jade 2 for 920€ incl shipping and tax.
There isn't a single good hifiman headphone

Phoney

GaryH

Major Contributor
1. I don't need to "try" when I have measurements.
2. I have heard the Ananda and Arya. Arya almost gave me a tumor.
Harman 2018-Hifiman Arya-Hifiman Sundara (2020 revised earpads)-Hifiman HE4XX-Hifiman HE400i (...png

Phoney

1. I don't need to "try" when I have measurements.
2. I have heard the Ananda and Arya. Arya almost gave me a tumor.
I have the Arya v2, and because I'm fairly sensitive to the higher frequencies, I do agree that it can be a bit too much treble (for me atleast). Some people that are less sensitive to that find it great out of the box. Using EQ fixes that problem for me completely, while still maintaining a good soundstage with the big cups and drivers. Also the bass sounds great with a small boost. Most planars responds very well to EQ.

Top Bottom