• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hi-Res frequency response DAC question

Artzox

Bringing this tread back from the dead to ask if I will get sub-bass frequencies buying a DAC which is rated 20hz to 20khz. It was not really clear to me based on the discussion above, but honestly I don't understand why Topping will limit frequencies below 20hz unless to protect speakers?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bringing this tread back from the dead to ask if I will get sub-bass frequencies buying a DAC which is rated 20hz to 20khz. It was not really clear to me based on the discussion above, but honestly I don't understand why Topping will limit frequencies below 20hz unless to protect speakers?
DC coupled sources is not always good, digital formats really allow for 0-20kHz , so DC offset from the production equipment can very well be in the CD or file you are playing . You don't want to reproduce DC , and it's probably not a brickwall to 20Hz but to design reasonable filter the DAC is very likely not in the 0,1dB spec below 20Hz

Artzox

DC coupled sources is not always good, digital formats really allow for 0-20kHz , so DC offset from the production equipment can very well be in the CD or file you are playing . You don't want to reproduce DC , and it's probably not a brickwall to 20Hz but to design reasonable filter the DAC is very likely not in the 0,1dB spec below 20Hz
Technicalities are unfortunately going over my head. All I wanted to know is why my current DAC is 0hz-50khz and a 2022 topping DAC that just came out is 20hz-20khz.I have a sub that can deliver below 20hz and you can feel it, so I don't understand if I will suddenly lose this rumble for songs where it is now present.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know which Topping you have. Here is a D10 balanced measured with an RME Babyface. 1 hz to 200 hz.

Multi-tone result is this. Looks .1 db down around 6 or 7 hz and .2 db down at 1 hz vs the level at 20 hz. Pretty good low end response. They may only quote spec to 20 hz, but it responds lower than that. Your subs will be fine below 20 hz.

1660809665931.png

Last edited:

Artzox

Don't know which Topping you have. Here is a D10 balanced measured with an RME Babyface. 1 hz to 200 hz.

Multi-tone result is this. Looks .1 db down around 6 or 7 hz and .2 db down at 1 hz vs the level at 20 hz. Pretty good low end response. They may only quote spec to 20 hz, but it responds lower than that.

View attachment 225101
Thanks, I don't have a topping DAC at the moment, but am looking at getting e30ii.
I will take a look at the graphs for this one.

Top Bottom