• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help w Dirac/Alternatives Bass EQ

amicusterrae

Hello ASR!

I've been reading this site for a long time and need some help. I just switched receivers (and internal room EQ from ARC Genesis (Anthem MRX 720) to Dirac Live (Lexicon Rv-6)). I want to smooth my bass response and leave everything above 200Hz alone. I managed to do this in ARC after a lot of trial and error. I haven't been able to figure it out in Dirac. This is for a mostly-theater/music focused rectangular room. I run two SVS SB-2000 subs at matching positions along the sidewalls 1/3 of the way from the front corners. Speakers are all Harman brands. I am generally familiar with room acoustics from Toole's book. I don't have as much time for this hobby as I used to, and prefer to set it and forget it.

Here's where I got stuck with Dirac: My measurements show my subs peaking 20+dB above the other speakers. That isn't a surprise, as I had to increase the sub levels about 10% to get a match with the speakers (I've got a wide range of efficiency to deal with, too). When I go to filter design, the difference is gone, and the sub now peaks in the same 0 to 10bD range where the speakers live up to 1.5kHz (they start rolling off after that). If I tame my bass peak alone and not apply EQ to anything else, I kill the balance and have no perceived bass. I can apply EQ to everything (drawing a Harman-esque curve about 10bD below the measured response). That gives me my preferred system balance, but I'm stuck EQ'ing all my speakers at full range.

I'm not seeing many options to effectively limit EQ to the subs. SVS will be glad to sell me the new pro version of the SB-2000 with built-in parametric EQ. I am sure I can tame the single room peak that way. Then I could just not use Dirac in the receiver. I really don't want to do that, as there's the cost, and the PITA of hauling heavy subs in and out of the basement. I see someone on Ebay is selling new old stock Audyssey SubEQ units, and I think that would do what I want. Cheaper and lighter than replacing the subs, but I expect no product support for a long discontinued product. There's the possibility of some other external unit like miniDSP I keep reading about, and while that would work with my music server, I don't see how it would help with blu-rays/4k discs played via HDMI. Maybe there's a solution in Dirac, too. I'm hopeful there's something else out there I am missing.

Any advice, ideas, suggestions, etc. are appreciated!

Any ideas, advice, suggestions are appreciated!
ARC Target (small).jpgDirac Measurements (small).jpgDirac Sub Target (small).jpgDirac other speakers target (small).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom