• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Shape Our Upcoming CD Player for 2024

Tell

CD player digital processor ICs have been doing fade up/down for well over 30 years, but it is much faster. Done to prevent nasty transients.
Ah yeah that makes sense, I have some memory hearing some kind of fast "clicky noise" on some players (might have been a software MP3 player though), sounds a bit nasty. But I'd like more than just a very few millisec though, I have around 100-750ms in Foobar2000 (depending on action) and it's such a smooth and nice experience when playing/pausing or changing tracks :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Ah yeah that makes sense, I have some memory hearing some kind of fast "clicky noise" on some players (might have been a software MP3 player though), sounds a bit nasty. But I'd like more than just a very few millisec though, I have around 100-750ms in Foobar2000 (depending on action) and it's such a smooth and nice experience when playing/pausing or changing tracks :)

Some Sony and Pioneers back in the day had programmable fade in/outs, but they were in 1 second increments for tape dubbing. I agree, a nice rapid fade is nice when jumping tracks.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Im in the market for a "fun" CD player. Something with old school tactical feel and updated lifestyle design.

Must haves:
1. Track info display and full track controls that are prominent and easy to see/use
2. Gapless playback (ridiculous this has to be specified)
3. At least 1 digital out
4. Small form factor
5. Under $300 us

Nice to haves
1. Bluetooth transmission
3. Multiple digital outputs (optical and coax)
4. Top load, or something unique to set it apart from other black boxes.
5. Remote with meaningful CD functions such as direct track access

Im leaning towards top load because
1. Tray mechanisms are the first thing to go in cheap CD player.
2. It enhances the "ceremony" of playing a CD.
3. I have the space in my entertainment center to accommodate a top load

The shanling CD player ticks many of these boxes but is just too expensive.

Lots of unknown brands pumping out models for around $100. But the quality is highly suspect.

Top Bottom