• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Choosing Open Backed Critical Listening Headphones.

• Thread starter Deleted member 23424
  • Start date

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're not gonna find much that's better than what you got at that price range.
Agreed.

It's so easy to fall into a never ending search for the perfect headphone these days.

the tests in here show that if you want linear perfection, you need EQ. With headphones EQ goes against my simplicity credo, so I just look for coloration and delivery I enjoy. I wasted time and money until I decided that the sweet spot of neutrality vs hype -for me- is around $400 to $600. If something allows me to score high in differentiating between a 320k MP3 and a Flac file (well recorded and familiarity required), it's all I need.

Don't get me wrong - I don't say this to brag in any way: spending $4k on headphones is not a budgetary sacrifice for me. But it make me feel stupid if I end up *really* preferring the $500 stuff I have. Headphones are like that. With speakers and other stuff, we look at it and can fall in love with visuals and tactile stuff. With headphones, we wear them on our head, we don't see them, and they are immediate and quite intimate. You *do* realize if you're on the wrong track when you wear them for 3 hours and somehow feel "Hm, I'll check my old ones again...".

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Why are you so adamant about open back being your first priority? If closed ones are something you really need, why not consolidate and go there?

PS: I don't work for Shure, but I think the 1540s are total giant killers.
I've never heard a closed back that offers decent soundstage. Everything feels a bit claustrophobic to me.

I'm a speakers guy, so the aim with these is to be able to sit back and play my music loud whenever I want, which isn't always possible with my speakers.

I'll take a look at the 1540s. Not sure why but I'd assumed they were IEMs

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never heard a closed back that offers decent soundstage. Everything feels a bit claustrophobic to me.

I'm a speakers guy, so the aim with these is to be able to sit back and play my music loud whenever I want, which isn't always possible with my speakers.

I'll take a look at the 1540s. Not sure why but I'd assumed they were IEMs
I am a total speakers guy myself. Nothing is better when it comes to staging - and I love classical music and staging is a *huge* part of the appeal.

Know I am not trying to pitch you or claim my preference is best.

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Know I am not trying to pitch you or claim my preference is best.
I think headphones are the only part of the game where I welcome subjective input. Not to suggest measurements don't count here, just that headphones are the only piece of the chain where personal preference can outweigh some more scientific aspects.

1540s look interesting. 1840s also.

dadregga

I wasted time and money until I decided that the sweet spot of neutrality vs hype -for me- is around $400 to $600. If something allows me to score high in differentiating between a 320k MP3 and a Flac file (well recorded and familiarity required), it's all I need.

That's where I landed too, I really really like my Dan Clark's and don't intend to spend more money on headphones ever, it is truly just miniscule diminishing returns past that point.

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Production of the MH755 ended 1-2 years ago afaik. I bought like 6 pairs when they were still being sold on eBay.
View attachment 188948

Edit: just looked and there are still some floating around on eBay. Prices have gone up though. And as you said there are fakes out there.
These are the best I can find on eBay UK. Look decidedly dodgy to me.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@dOSs DCA Aeon X Open or Sundara. I say this as a Stealth owner; they're so good it kind of pisses me off how close they get to Stealth performance for 90% less $. If you're a bass head, you'll want an amp, otherwise no extraordinary power requirements.

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

@dOSs DCA Aeon X Open or Sundara. I say this as a Stealth owner; they're so good it kind of pisses me off how close they get to Stealth performance for 90% less $. If you're a bass head, you'll want an amp, otherwise no extraordinary power requirements.
My budget means I'm looking for used headphones, with the often reported QC issues I'm not sure I'd risk buying used Hifiman.

And Aeon X have been in my saved searches for ages, only ever seen 2 pairs come up in the UK. I'll keep on looking though.

dadregga

My budget means I'm looking for used headphones, with the often reported QC issues I'm not sure I'd risk buying used Hifiman.

And Aeon X have been in my saved searches for ages, only ever seen 2 pairs come up in the UK. I'll keep on looking though.
Yeah, as someone who has owned both HifiMans and DCAs, the QC issues (and general longevity) was why I moved away from HifiMan, so I think you're on the right track there.

luft262

I highly recommend trying the Sundara cans. They are excellent. I'm listening to them as I type this.
I'm also listening to Sundaras as I type this, lol! I also use Wavelet for EQ.

parnarules

I haven't tried the mh755 but he mh750 are a gem. I generally dislike IEMs but the sound of these is pretty remarkable, and for less 5 pounds...I ordered about 5 pairs from this website (Free UK Shipping and 10% off with code FH10) and all of them were legit. I have no interest in buying any other IEM since I found these. Believe the hype, they are that good.
Looks like I missed the boat.

buscon

about buying sony MH755: depending on where you are located, sony MH755 are usually sold with the bluetooth receiver SBH24. I bought mine a few days ago from amazon.de.

The headphones are indeed very good, check the review on rtings:

Back to your main question I suggest you: HD560S, AKG K702, Beyerdynamic DT 880.
Read reviews and make a list of pros/cons.
Then go to a shop, brings your favourite tracks and take some time to audition them. The comfort level and the individual personal taste plays a bit role in choosing a headphone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom