• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Choosing Open Backed Critical Listening Headphones.

• Thread starter Deleted member 23424
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23424

Hello. It's me again, with some more idiot questions.

I've got a CCA (soon to be replaced with Moode on a Pi Zero 2W, for EQ purposes) feeding a DX3Pro+.

I currently have AKG K371, Sennheiser HD569, and a pair of HD58X Jubilee arrived yesterday.

The only thing they all have in common is that I got them all at a decent enough price to be able to sell them on.

The first two, to me, are mediocre at best. The K371 would be impressive if they'd been supplied as an accessory to my phone, but for proper audio they're just a bit.... meh. The HD569 are just mildly competent.

My aim here is to sell all three and end up with 1. one pair of open backed for critical listening and 2. one pair of closed back for not disturbing She Who Must Be Obeyed. I guess I could keep the K371 for the latter, but I won't.

The HD58X are everything I want (ish) from the closed back. But they're not the detail monsters I want from an open backed pair. Sound wise I'd keep these if they weren't open backed, they fit the bill for the second pair in that respect.

I've been looking at Q701, K712, K7XX, HD560S, HD600, DT990 but have yet to hear any of the above.

Any recommendations for detailed open backs very welcome, up to about £200 used. I don't need (though wouldn't object to) tons of bass.

I'll revisit the closed backs once I work out what budget I have left after buying the more important open backs.

Much obliged

Last edited by a moderator:

staticV3

Master Contributor
K712 and DT990 both sound awful to me, with or without EQ.
Please give us a budget for the two headphones, that helps a lot.

To be frank, I prefer my EQed mh755 to my EQed HD600, even for critical listening. The Sony has better bass, more detail, and nuanced parts of audio tracks are more easily noticed with it.
I am quite experienced with EQing headphones and IEMs, so am confident that I'm using both to their full potential.

Last edited:
OP
D

Deleted member 23424

K712 and DT990 both sound awful to me, with or without EQ.
Please give us a budget for the two headphones, that helps a lot.

To be frank, I prefer my EQed mh755 to my EQed HD600, even for critical listening. The Sony has better bass, more detail, and nuanced parts of audio tracks are more easily noticed with it.
I am quite experienced with EQing headphones and IEMs, so am confident that I'm using both to their full potential.
I guess I'm looking at roughly £300 for the two pairs. Or £300 for the open backed and I forget the closed backs for now.

I'm not averse to a treble heavy profile, maybe some HF hearing loss at play.

I keep finding myself drawn to the Sundaras but can't shake my concerns over the QC issues.

EDIT: MH755? The £10 buds?

Leiker535

The other Sennheisers you mentioned all have a similar sound signature (similar to your 58X), the 560s being the brightest due to some treble peaks. I'd stay away from those AKGs and from the DT990 as they all have weird tuning (I've owned the Q701 and there's graph here on the 712 and 990), some with extra sharpness (DT990), others lacking midrange (K712).

If you want a very open headphone you could try the Hifiman EDXS, it has huge drivers which makes its soundstage somewhat wide and "ethereal", with good detail, with the biggest caveat being some weird energy over 12khz. There's also the Sundaras, which are you safest and cheapest bet. They are a bit bright stock, but can be EQed to heaven.

EDIT: on the cheap, there's also the Hifiman 400SE which already has very good tuning and is highly praised here on ASR. If the Sundara would be a upgrade from it depends on who you ask, and whether you think there is more to headphones than FR measures.

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

...and whether you think there is more to headphones than FR measures.
Topping D90, miniDSP Flex, Purifi amp, DX3Pro+.... I take measurements seriously. But on headphones (and to a lesser extent speakers) I think personal preference/taste plays just as big a part in finding what's right for your own ears. I'm not entirely convinced I'm in total agreement with the Harman curve. That's not to say I know better, just that my preference isn't the same.

Sundaras are right on my limit, but the more I read about them the more QC issues I hear about.

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

Yes. Seriously.
Ok, irrespective of this thread you've piqued my interest. I'll try and find a pair.

Edit: On closer inspection it appears they're all copies on eBay.
Screenshot_20220225-002114_eBay.jpg

Leiker535

Topping D90, miniDSP Flex, Purifi amp, DX3Pro+.... I take measurements seriously. But on headphones (and to a lesser extent speakers) I think personal preference/taste plays just as big a part in finding what's right for your own ears. I'm not entirely convinced I'm in total agreement with the Harman curve. That's not to say I know better, just that my preference isn't the same.

Sundaras are right on my limit, but the more I read about them the more QC issues I hear about.

QC is a recurring problem with Hifimans, unfortunately.

If you preffer a more "IEF like" tuning, you could try the optimum hifi EQ curve for yours , it should make them behave more like the HD 600s. Hear it with a huge grain of salt though, as there is always problems inherent with EQ profiles and trying to make headphones behave like others.

In my personal opinion though, you shouldn't aim for the 600/650 while owning the 58X. I've had both (650 and 58x) at hand for two weeks and did thorough AB testing with them: with new pads, they all sound remarkably close. The 560s may sound different because of the angled drivers and higher treble peak, which might suit you.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Edit: On closer inspection it appears they're all copies on eBay.
Production of the MH755 ended 1-2 years ago afaik. I bought like 6 pairs when they were still being sold on eBay.
20210615_010200a.jpg

Edit: just looked and there are still some floating around on eBay. Prices have gone up though. And as you said there are fakes out there.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to be a Grado grupie - RS1, PS500, SR325.... now I only have a pair or 225e that sounded decidedly better than the top rated 325 or others (I prabably lucked out with that set). But I am mostly into closed designs now. Was always and remain a total Shure 535 in-ear fan, and love Shure 1540s... when it comes to open, the Beyerdynamic 1990 are the best I have heard... a tad sharpish but awesome, those are the ones I'd get these days.

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

In my personal opinion though, you shouldn't aim for the 600/650 while owning the 58X. I've had both (650 and 58x) at hand for two weeks and did thorough AB testing with them: with new pads, they all sound remarkably close. The 560s may sound different because of the angled drivers and higher treble peak, which might suit you.
As per OP I will sell the 58X. They are ok, but a bit jack-of-all-trades. I want more detail, and will accept the trade offs that brings. Soundstage too.

That's why I said I'll revisit the closed backs later. Not only for budgetary reasons, but also to reflect/compensate for compromises made on whatever open backs I get.

I feel the closed backs will be a simpler selection, especially given that they'll be for low listening levels.

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

... when it comes to open, the Beyerdynamic 1990 are the best I have heard... a tad sharpish but awesome, those are the ones I'd get these days.
Again, absolutely maxing out my budget. And some. But firmly on the radar. How is the soundstage on them?

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

If you preffer a more "IEF like" tuning, you could try the optimum hifi EQ curve for yours , it should make them behave more like the HD 600s. Hear it with a huge grain of salt though, as there is always problems inherent with EQ profiles and trying to make headphones behave like others.

Just checked on UAPP and the EQ you linked to is the one that I'm already using.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, absolutely maxing out my budget. And some. But firmly on the radar. How is the soundstage on them?
It's their main strength IMO. They are fantastic for classical and jazz, where FX and studio mix gimmicks are not as prevalent. In fact this convo reminded me to buy them, just pulled the trigger at $579 on Amazon. You do have good stuff already, so I'd consider the next move carefully to not waste $... which is easy to do with headphone experiments (trust me, I know :-D).

PS: I should note one of my biggest audiophile regrets was believing the hype around a pair of $4k headphones. Then tried to return them and it was hell, so I just sold them "as new" on Ebay for less than 2k. That's after all of 4 days of moderate use.

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

You do have good stuff already, so I'd consider the next move carefully to not waste $... which is easy to do with headphone experiments (trust me, I know :-D).
Hence this thread. I want to focus the budget I have on getting the open backs right, closed backs aren't as important.

OP
D

Deleted member 23424

PS: I should note one of my biggest audiophile regrets was believing the hype around a pair of $4k headphones. Then tried to return them and it was hell, so I just sold them "as new" on Ebay for less than 2k. That's after all of 4 days of moderate use.
Ouch!

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hence this thread. I want to focus the budget I have on getting the open backs right, closed backs aren't as important.
Why are you so adamant about open back being your first priority? If closed ones are something you really need, why not consolidate and go there?

PS: I don't work for Shure, but I think the 1540s are total giant killers.

Top Bottom