• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help building my first setup!

DevilBlaze

Hello. This is my first topic in this forum!
My name is Hugo and I'm living in Europe.
So, first and foremost I may tell you guys I do not understand a lot of this hobbie I'm just getting started and it's been very complicated.
So I recently bought some (Ether 2/ klipsch hp-3) and I need a dac / amp setup to connect to my pc and I have some questions:
If I buy a dac I'm also gonna need an amp? Should I buy an all in one box solution like the Sony TA-ZH1ES or a separated Dac/amp?
Up to 1000/1500€ which are my options?
Any questions that you guys have feel free to ask.
Thanks for your time guys!

Willem

Major Contributor
1 Do you want to listen to speakers or a headphone? If speakers, how large is the room?
2 What sources will you wanto listen to? Just your PC for streaming music or also discs or a television?

OP
D

DevilBlaze

Thanks for your time

1- Right now I'm only using headphones.(Maybe in the future I will use speakers)
2- the sources that I will be using is Pc and Mac.

Willem

Major Contributor
So all you really need is a usb DAC plus a headphone amplifier. You could have both functions separately or integrated for about $200 in total or a bit more, and it would be totally transparent (i.e. no further sonic improvement would be possible). The rest of the budget would be available for what really makes a sonic differnce: the headphones. I personally hate them, so I have no good advice on them. The remaing budget would be enough for really good headphones.
Make sure the DAC or headphone amplifier also has a variable line output so you can later add a power amplifier and speakers if you ever want to. Again, the expensive part of that extension would be the speakers and not the electronics.

OP
D

DevilBlaze

So all you really need is a usb DAC plus a headphone amplifier. You could have both functions separately or integrated for about $200 in total or a bit more, and it would be totally transparent (i.e. no further sonic improvement would be possible). The rest of the budget would be available for what really makes a sonic differnce: the headphones. I personally hate them, so I have no good advice on them. The remaing budget would be enough for really good headphones.
Make sure the DAC or headphone amplifier also has a variable line output so you can later add a power amplifier and speakers if you ever want to. Again, the expensive part of that extension would be the speakers and not the electronics.
Thanks for the reply.
Do you have a recommendation for the Dac/Amp?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello. This is my first topic in this forum! My name is Hugo and I'm living in Europe.
So, first and foremost I may tell you guys I do not understand a lot of this hobbie I'm just getting started and it's been very complicated.
So I recently bought some (Ether 2/ klipsch hp-3) and I need a DAC/ amp setup to connect to my pc and I have some questions:
If I buy a DAC I'm also gonna need an amp? Should I buy an all in one box solution like the Sony TA-ZH1ES or a separated DAC/amp?
Up to 1000/1500€ which are my options? Any questions that you guys have feel free to ask. Thanks for your time guys!
The 25-Ohm Klipsch HP-3 could be decently driven buy a $25 FiiO headphone amplifier or a smartphone.....but,
you should get something that has more then enough power to bring out the best in the headphones.
That ($2000) Sony TA-ZH1ES looks nice, but there are lots of DAC/amps in the $400-$800 range that should give the Sony a run for the money.
check out Audio-GD, I use their ($400) NFB-11.28 myself.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm
I myself just order a Topping DX7S ($450) because I wanted to try some of my headphones using a balanced cable setup (4 point headphone jack)
So far I can't find anyone that provides a balanced cable for the HP-3
Most headphones use a un-balanced cable setup, 3 point "stereo" jack.

twsecrest

twsecrest

Thanks for your time
1- Right now I'm only using headphones.(Maybe in the future I will use speakers)
2- the sources that I will be using is Pc and Mac.

Check out self powered studio monitors, a 2.0 or 2.1 setup is fine for a single person that will be sitting close to the speakers (studio monitors), My Topping DX7s will arrive in about 10 days and plan on using a balanced cable connection between the DX7s and my Monoprice 5" studio monitors.

twsecrest

I like to think spending more (then $200) for a DAC/amp with dual DAC chips and a balanced headphone jack, would help at least a little.

August

SU-8+THXAAA 789,Will be the best choice for the balance system,I think.

OP
D

DevilBlaze

I looked into it and some people are having some problems with the device and I don't think I wanna jump right into it. Which is sad because it has a lot of good reviews.
Probably the one BillG has already suggested. Or a DAC and the JDS Atom headphone amp.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-new-jds-labs-atom-headphone-amp.5262/
After the topping DX-3 Pro I looked the JDS Atom with a Dac like Topping D30/50 but unfortunately I cannot get the JDS Atom in Europe or at least I didn't found a store selling it.
The 25-Ohm Klipsch HP-3 could be decently driven buy a $25 FiiO headphone amplifier or a smartphone.....but,
you should get something that has more then enough power to bring out the best in the headphones.
That ($2000) Sony TA-ZH1ES looks nice, but there are lots of DAC/amps in the $400-$800 range that should give the Sony a run for the money.
check out Audio-GD, I use their ($400) NFB-11.28 myself.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm
I myself just order a Topping DX7S ($450) because I wanted to try some of my headphones using a balanced cable setup (4 point headphone jack)
So far I can't find anyone that provides a balanced cable for the HP-3
Most headphones use a un-balanced cable setup, 3 point "stereo" jack.
I only mention the Sony TA-ZH1ES because I can buy it for around 1200€ and it seemed to me a well around device. I also have a Sony WM1A and it has a option to use it as source on the TA-ZH1ES.
SU-8+THXAAA 789,Will be the best choice for the balance system,I think.
Unfortunately I cannot get massdrop stuff in Europe. I'm not feeling paying over the price on eBay for one. Even the su-8 I think a cannot buy in EU.
option #5, a professional all in one of famed quality:

https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_adi_2_dac.htm

has no problems driving your headphones and has lots of built in features that are great for headphones.
I looked into it yesterday but I don't know. I'm afraid might be a little overwhelmed for me. One thing I did not understand with the rme ADI 2 it is only a Dac or Dac/amp and I will need to buy a separate amp?
Sorry I'm a newbie :facepalm:

Thanks for your patience and time guy's!

Veri

Master Contributor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I looked into it yesterday but I don't know. I'm afraid might be a little overwhelmed for me. One thing I did not understand with the rme ADI 2 it is only a Dac or Dac/amp and I will need to buy a separate amp?

It can be used both as a DAC but also has a very good amp section in it so this is DAC/AMP combo where nothing else is needed.

You don't HAVE to use the extra's. However, once you get used to the device you will find it has an excellent set of extra features that won't leave you wanting for more.

OP
D

DevilBlaze

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Seeing what HP's and gear you own and are looking for I might mention that while the Atom performs and sounds very well one has to realise that it feels, looks and is plasticy which may not be what you are looking for. Plus, some of the Atoms need a 'whack' sometimes to disengage the mute relay.

The toppings and RME are metal and higher quality looking.

Top Bottom