• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hello all ... lower price Preamp Advice

SoZo

Looking for some suggestions on a preamp for my new Hi-FI system.
I used to be really into it Various DAC's, Audible Illusion M3A, Quicksiver Monoblocks Vanderstien speakers etc....

I'm a recording studio guy now (Apogee, Focal etc...) but my wife wanted to get back into Vinyl !
I just got us a audio-technica at-lp7 and have some new powered JBL 308 MKii Monitors and want to build a new system around this.
I dont want to go crazy ... below is how I am currently using it.

I currently have some old Audio Quest RCA with WBT connectors and I am using the built in phono amp and the speaker volume controls but really want a Volume Knob with source selection etc...

Thanks !
John

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not plug the phono preamp into the audio interface analog in?

OP
S

SoZo

Thats what Im currently doing but no easy upfront volume control or easy way to expand with a DAC or Streaming music etc....

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
What is your budget?

I have the Schiit Freya S and like it a lot.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I'd recommend a used preamp from the 1980s or 1990s . You can find some good ones on eBay that cost a kilobuck when new and you can get them for $200 or less now. For example, back in the day I had a Rotel RC-990BX which had a built-in phono amp with a switch for low (MM) and high (MC) gain, and good sound quality. You can decide to get one with a built-in phono amp, or keep using the one you have.

OP
S

SoZo

Thanks ... personally I'd rather get something new, I have no desire nor the cycles to bid etc... nor support or fix an outdated piece.
What else besides Schitt ?

Top Bottom