• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volume Control / Dirac / DAC Timing

K-dub

Good Day,

Looking for some feedback on the below 2 option's. Mainly on the volume control in the digital domain vs analog. Also any feedback on timing issues between DAC's on option 1. Pros and Cons to both options - all feedback welcomed.

Volume.PNG

staticV3

Master Contributor
Digital volume control is a non-issue.

I'd get a WiiM Mini or WiiM Pro Streamer and a miniDSP Flex DSP+DAC.
There are six different versions of the Flex to match your requirements.

The DAC built into the Flex is not in any way inferior to the Denafrips Ares.

Ricwa

Forum Donor
Presuming you’ll use SPDIF 1/2 to your first DAC, and SPDIF 3/4 to your second, you won’t have any timing issues because the SHD Studio will be acting as clock master. As far as digital attenuation, it won’t be a problem at all as the SHD Studio is a 32 bit device. I’d go with option #1 for sure due to the advantage you’ll get in a 2.2 setup with Dirac.

OP
K

K-dub

Presuming you’ll use SPDIF 1/2 to your first DAC, and SPDIF 3/4 to your second, you won’t have any timing issues because the SHD Studio will be acting as clock master. As far as digital attenuation, it won’t be a problem at all as the SHD Studio is a 32 bit device. I’d go with option #1 for sure due to the advantage you’ll get in a 2.2 setup with Dirac.
Thanks for your feedback. First 2 responses confirm no issue with volume control at the SHD which is great to hear. Back to the timing question - I understand the digital signal to both DACS would be timed correctly by the SHD, however I wonder if the 2 dacs are not the same will there be any delay from one to the other by the time the conversion to analog is complete.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Option #1 is what makes sense BUT you have to make sure that there's some fail-safe between your DACs and amp/subs.

Sometime over the years of operation the glitch WILL happen and it's better to be prepared for it.

OP
K

K-dub

Option #1 is what makes sense BUT you have to make sure that there's some fail-safe between your DACs and amp/subs.

Sometime over the years of operation the glitch WILL happen and it's better to be prepared for it.
Are you thinking at some point the volume will max out due to a glitch? If so what kind of fail-safe options are there for this? Thanks in advance.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Are you thinking at some point the volume will max out due to a glitch? If so what kind of fail-safe options are there for this? Thanks in advance.
Yes it will,either by operation fault,component failure,software glitch,etc.
One option would be some kind of permanent attenuation to the loudest point you would ever listen (including peaks) with a voltage divider for example (one that makes sure no impedance mismatches would occur )

OP
K

K-dub

I believe the Denafrips has a variable latency FIFO buffer which will make it unsuitable for use with another DAC.

Michael
Very Interesting.. Variable meaning even If I had 2 Ares DACS the timing could be out.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very Interesting.. Variable meaning even If I had 2 Ares DACS the timing could be out.

Yes. The SPDIF receiver of the Ares will be sync'd to the SHD Studio, however the data from the receiver is then stored in a FIFO buffer. The stored data is read out of the buffer at a pace determined by a separate clock local to the Ares. This means you can never sync another DAC to the Ares. In sub integration, having sync'd DACs is critical as variable latency will change the phase relationship between the two DACs and result significant frequency response variation.

Michael

Top Bottom