• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hedd ‘MainTowers’ arrive !

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well they are in different rooms at the moment.
Keith

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There you go, completely flat no EQ, just some Modex panels in the room, the room isn’t perfect and I have to use the Illusonic with the horns which are still at the other end of the room.

Keith
Is that a 30db bass lift at the bottom end? Hard to read with that scale. I'm sure it's the room not the speakers though.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well they are in different rooms at the moment.
Keith
Despite they are in different rooms something like an overall difference in imaging must be probably be noticed. Because of already the enormous height of the HEDD's in comparison with the D&D's there most be something like an vertical image difference i guess.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
About 20-24dB if I remember correctly, around 30Hz, It was that problem that led me to ... Trinnov, Dirac, Room perfect, Illusonic ,Modex tuned membrane etc etc, the other room is much more benign.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Despite they are in different rooms something like an overall difference in imaging must be probably be noticed. Because of already the enormous height of the HEDD's in comparison with the D&D's there most be something like an vertical image difference i guess.
The ‘Towers’ don’t produce a disproportionate image size, the midrange module tweeter etc is at/around ear height, the subs cross at 80Hz I believe.
Keith

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Philips had in the 70ties a experimental sound systems consisting of speakers that where strategically placed thrue the room vertical from the floor to the ceiling. Don't know the name of this experimental system it was also never been in production because of the sheer size an eventualy was difficult to sell. A Freind of mine who was invited heard the system an was quite impressed.

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
There you go, completely flat no EQ, just some Modex panels in the room, the room isn’t perfect and I have to use the Illusonic with the horns which are still at the other end of the room.

Keith

Can you please rescale this graph to show y axis range from 30 to 100dB instead of -100 to 200 and x axis range from 20Hz to 20kHz?

What kind of smoothing did you apply?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would expect them to be no different to a pair of stand mounts, with 2 subs on the floor, and another 2 subs bolted to the ceiling.

Krunok

Major Contributor
It is hard to tell from the graph but they seem to be a little heavy on the bass - diff between 30Hz and 1kHz seems to be app 20dB.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Do you mean 100hz?

No, I mean 1kHz.

Hedd.jpg

Krunok

Major Contributor
I see what you mean now, I read it wrong.
The lift looks like room gain and room problems not speakers, so it should be very fixable. As it is there will be a lot of grunt, but it's wrong.

Yes, it's probably the room. From 100Hz above they look ok, although it is hard to judge how linear they are as graph scale is too large.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The room is totally in control of the low bass of any speaker , and that is not an easy room, I will post another set of measurements when the horns have left and I can optimally position the towers.
Keith

Krunok

Major Contributor
The room is totally in control of the low bass of any speaker , and that is not an easy room, I will post another set of measurements when the horns have left and I can optimally position the towers.
Keith

I agree. Looking at LF response without room EQ doesn't make much sense, but I would really appreciate if you can re-post this graph with the scale adjusted as I suggested in my previous post.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Gloss black pair of these ordered,

Hedd Audio’s ‘Tower Mains’, main studio monitors.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
After a short hiatus Hedd’s ‘Towers Main’ arrive here early next week, they are active , ( 26 drivers in total) but don’t have on board DACs/ad so I am going to use the Mola-Mola ‘Tambaqui ‘ which is ROON ready.
So the entire system will be Roon ‘Nucleus’, Tambaqui and Hedd’s Mains.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Arrived, heavy, four times TMS 36 subs 2 times TM80 mains.

Keith

Top Bottom