• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones picking up radio stations. Solutions?

I hooked my MDR Z1R onto a topping A90 with a 4.4mm balanced cable. Now depending on my cable position I can hear either little hisses of radio broadcasting or some moderately noticeable music/radio programs. Weirdly this only happens with low and mid gain, not high gain on A90.

Any possible solutions for this? Does this suggest a faulty A90? I have no issues with all my other amps.

OP
S
Oh and sometimes it's just insanely high-pitched noise screaming with some cable positions.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I hooked my MDR Z1R onto a topping A90 with a 4.4mm balanced cable. Now depending on my cable position I can hear either little hisses of radio broadcasting or some moderately noticeable music/radio programs. Weirdly this only happens with low and mid gain, not high gain on A90.
This is a hint that the output stage may not be stable for all possible loads (too much feedback at lower gains).

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's a feature, not a fault!

Seriously though, I'm sorry but I don't know how to fix it. The topic caught my eye because when I was a boy (I'm 54) we had a fridge whose door panel picked up am radio quite nicely, and I had a suitcase style record player in my bedroom and one side of it picked up the same radio station. I'm in UK, it was BBC Radio One - garrulous DJs and terrible pop.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a similar issue with a old Sears stereo when playing records. It picked up aviation radio chatter. I got rid of it and bought Technics gear and the problem was solved. I don't have a suggestion nor a solution for your predicament. Possibly there is a high power broadcasting facility near your location?

Top Bottom