• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphones louder in one side more so than the other

ZStud

I know I can just change the sound balance on Windows, but I'm still within my return window and want to just return and get a new one if it's broken. I bought my first stack of a DAC, amp, and headphones, and I didn't initially have any issues. But after a certain point, I noticed my left ear was slightly louder than my right. So I changed the audio balancing. Than at one point my left was much quieter than my right, so I changed the mix again. Now, it's switched to the other side again. I have it at 50 on my left, and 53 on my right. What could be causing this issue? Are one of my components faulty? I can return them all still, since I bought them on Amazon, but it'd be much easier to just return one component if I could know which is bad. I have tried plugging my headset into my computer directly, and it's still having the mixing issue, but it's worse. I have a feeling it's my headset, but I don't want to return my headset, get another, and then still have the issue and not be able to return my DAC and amp anymore. I do also have an EQ profile that I'm using from Oratory, which to me seems the least likely to be the issue, but here that is as well. Thanks in advance.
image_2023-10-15_082141596.png

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I almost hate to ask, but have you tried reversing them on your head to see if the problem flips sides?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Checked for channel imbalance in mono ?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So it varies with source/content? Or can be resolved with a basic level adjustment? You sure the content is as equal l/r as expected?

Soria Moria

Return them. Would be really hard to sell them in the future if they have audible channel imbalance.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Try the headphones with a mono file on your phone or your stereo, etc. If you get the same problem that proves it's the headphones.

If you are on Windows, go into the sound settings and make sure left & right are both set to 100%. (The settings may be different depending on your operating system version and drivers... You may have a balance control, etc.)

You eliminated the amplifier, but anything with a volume control pot can be suspect. A traditional stereo volume control is two stacked potentiometers and they don't always track equally. (Both channels will usually match at 100% volume.)

It's unlikely to be the DAC (unless it has an analog volume control) and it's also unlikely to be the headphones themselves but it's possible.

...You could probably figure-out of combination of adapters/cables that would allow you to split the left & right connections and then connect both sides of the headphone to the same left or right signal, so they'd both be getting the exact same electrical signal. (You should NOT "short" the left & right outputs-signals together but it's OK to for the left & right earpieces to share the same signal.)

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a couple of headphones with channel imbalance including the XS and if you run them with no EQ, and tried reversing the cable and still notice it, then return them. A decibel meter app on the phone and test tone generator online will give you confirmation. There's no repairing plants so don't get stuck with them. Even Hifiman will only offer a 20 percent discount on trade towards a new pair if they go out of warranty.

OP
Z

ZStud

Try the headphones with a mono file on your phone or your stereo, etc. If you get the same problem that proves it's the headphones.

If you are on Windows, go into the sound settings and make sure left & right are both set to 100%. (The settings may be different depending on your operating system version and drivers... You may have a balance control, etc.)

You eliminated the amplifier, but anything with a volume control pot can be suspect. A traditional stereo volume control is two stacked potentiometers and they don't always track equally. (Both channels will usually match at 100% volume.)

It's unlikely to be the DAC (unless it has an analog volume control) and it's also unlikely to be the headphones themselves but it's possible.

...You could probably figure-out of combination of adapters/cables that would allow you to split the left & right connections and then connect both sides of the headphone to the same left or right signal, so they'd both be getting the exact same electrical signal. (You should NOT "short" the left & right outputs-signals together but it's OK to for the left & right earpieces to share the same signal.)
Yeah, I have the original cable that I can just plug into my computer, and once switched into mono it's even worse, so I do believe it's my headphones. My DAC does have an analog volume control, but since the problem persists when plugged directly into my computer, I'm going to go with just returning the headphones. I have it set to 46 on the left and 51 on the right just to get them to match in mono. And both my DAC and amp are at 100 volume already, so I don't believe those to be the issue. Thank you!

OP
Z

ZStud

I've had a couple of headphones with channel imbalance including the XS and if you run them with no EQ, and tried reversing the cable and still notice it, then return them. A decibel meter app on the phone and test tone generator online will give you confirmation. There's no repairing plants so don't get stuck with them. Even Hifiman will only offer a 20 percent discount on trade towards a new pair if they go out of warranty.
Yeah, I'm just going to return them, I used the tone generator and they were a bit off, thank you!

OP
Z

ZStud

So it varies with source/content? Or can be resolved with a basic level adjustment? You sure the content is as equal l/r as expected?
Yeah I put it to mono and used a tone generator, plus a decibel meter on my phone, and it does seem to be a bit off, so I'm just returning them. Thanks!

Top Bottom