• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Longevity

A_T_O_M_I_C_Rooster

Forum Donor
Anybody have any ideas on how long different headphone technologies last? Like Planar Magnetic, Electrostatic, etc?

Nitreb

Unless you drop them or drive them too hard, they should last many years. The LCD-XC I bought in 2014 still works fine. The only thing I had to change were the earpads last year, and the cable which started to have an intermittent contact at the junction with the 6.3mm connector (faulty design IMO).

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ive had used Beyerdynamic models that were 20 years old and sounded just as good as new ones with fresh pads. Avoid moist environments since connectors can corrode. Your more likely to drop them or run over a cord with a computer chair than just wearing out by playing music.
Any pair will last decades if not stored in a moist storage locker, dropped, or played loud enough to blow them.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I think the only part of a headphone I haven't experienced failing on me over time is the drivers.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the only part of a headphone I haven't experienced failing on me over time is the drivers.
For dynamics and planars, I agree. But have no experience with ESLs and heard here and there that they are more prone to failure due to high voltages involved. Any truth in that?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Like Planar Magnetic, Electrostatic, etc?
All of these basic technologies tend to be very reliable.

Usually the earpads wear out, a cable "goes bad" from flexing over time, or something just gets mechanically broken, etc. A replaceable plug-in cable can be good, but the socket where it plugs-in can also be a weak point.

Koss headphones have a lifetime warranty but there doesn't seem to bee many Koss models rated for top sound quality. I've got a pair of Koss Porta Pro headphones in my laptop bag. They got a "recommended with EQ" rating and they are famous for being good-sounding bargain in their price range.

I also have the AKG K371. They have a reptation for being flimsy but they have good sound quality (with slightly elevated bass), and at the price I'd say you could consider them "disposable' with sound equivalent to headphones costing 2 or 3 times as much, or more. Mine haven't broken but I don't listen to headphones everyday.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still use my 2006 HD650. Only the pads have needed replacing over the years.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
For dynamics and planars, I agree. But have no experience with ESLs and heard here and there that they are more prone to failure due to high voltages involved. Any truth in that?
A long time ago I once had a Jecklin Float ESL. I consider the original version of the JJ Float to be an ingenious design. At the time it came onto the market, its design looked downright futuristic and caused quite a stir in the hi-fi scene. But it only lasted about 10 years, then it was virtually worn out and no longer sounded good.

I found a own photo of my Jecklin Float in my archive:

float.jpg

DonR

Major Contributor
From what I have seen, after the usual cable issues, it is always something on the headband that goes. My Sennheisers (now 12 years old) have gone through 3 cables and had the earpads replaced twice. I had some Samson Studio headphones years ago whose earpads disintegrated within 2 years and the very thin wires to the drivers broke off a little after that. Regardless of technology, implementation seems to hold the biggest key to longevity.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem I have experienced is the headband covering falling apart on sub $200 cans.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
kh550.jpg

This is a 10 years old picture of my Beyerdynamic DT880 Edition. It looks still as new today and do not show any signs of wear or sound degradation. However, the leatherette bag that came with it has disintegrated in the meantime.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

I have no experience either :)

Unless you drop them or drive them too hard, they should last many years. The LCD-XC I bought in 2014 still works fine. The only thing I had to change were the earpads last year, and the cable which started to have an intermittent contact at the junction with the 6.3mm connector (faulty design IMO).
Well if course it does that's not even a decade old.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Is 40 years long enough?

1701022206165.jpeg

audio technica ATH-M2 orthodynamic

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Anybody have any ideas on how long different headphone technologies last? Like Planar Magnetic, Electrostatic, etc?
Electret is usually really poor.
Followed by electrostatic.

Usually pads, headbands, cables, connectors, damping foam give up long before dynamic drivers do.

Is 40 years long enough?

View attachment 329546

audio technica ATH-M2 orthodynamic

Unfortunately the cutoff is 50 ;)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Unfortunately the cutoff is 50 ;)
I would say even more than that!There are some mods around but i don't touch them.

It's my youth in there,countless songs,lessons,etc.
I have the LCD-X for lower. (but they don't automatically carry me to those years as these do :) )

Top Bottom