• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone Amp Mounting

cshake

Forum Donor
So this isn't exactly DIY audio, since I didn't do any soldering or do anything that would change the sound in any way, but I figured someone might find it interesting. I have an Atom amp, which started sitting on top of my computer tower under the desk, where it was awkward to get to (defeating the point of the nice big volume knob). I tried putting it on top of the desk, but then it gets in the way and, well, cats. So I combined hobbies and 3D printed a bracket to mount it on the underside of my desk.

The desk is a big L shape attached to the wall in our "office" room, where my wife and I use it for our computers, a sewing machine at one end, etc. The L is at the left end where my computer is, so I got the idea to put the amp right at the corner with the volume knob exposed but the cable under the desk so it's protected. Final picture first:
JDSAtomBracket-3.jpg

The bracket holds the amp by both the rounded corners and the circular feet on the bottom.
JDSAtomBracket-1.jpg

Underside view:
JDSAtomBracket-2.jpg

I realized only after printing it and fitting it up that the back two feet aren't exactly symmetric with the front feet - I knew they didn't have the extra height, but I figured they would be on a square pattern and they aren't quite.

Designed in SolidWorks (but not using any special features that aren't in Fusion360 or other more free CAD programs). Printed with PLA on my Prusa i3 MK3S printer using a 0.6mm nozzle and 0.3mm layer height.

mkarikom

Nice, have you noticed any increase in temperature after having it mounted like that?

OP
cshake

cshake

Forum Donor
Nice, have you noticed any increase in temperature after having it mounted like that?
It's a bit warm to the touch on the bottom, but nothing that concerns me. Comparable to or slightly cooler than the temperature of the power brick. I don't know how much hotter the top is, but can't feel anything above ambient on the sides.

Also, I got the Atom DAC and it's the identical housing, so I just printed a second one and mounted that a few inches away completely hidden under the desk, just close enough for rack RCA cables to reach. Similar "just slightly warm on the bottom" feel as the amp.

Top Bottom