• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Headphone advice for industrial metal

Nick2D

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a headset to listen to Industrial Metal (Rammstein, Emigrate, Lindemann, Pain) I currently own Alessandro Grado MS1 I would like to find something of a higher level and have more fun with these bands.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To me, the best bang for the buck headphones is the Soundmagic HP200 open headphones.
For closed headphones, the HP151 (closed) headphone.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's not supposed to matter what you're listening to... The headphone or speaker is supposed to accurately reproduce the recording. ;) (Except there is a "preferred" Harmon curve that's not exactly-flat frequency response.)

You can sort the ASR Headphone Reviews by Recommended with or without EQ and/or by price. The lowest price recommended without EQ is the AKG K371. It has a slight bass boost relative to the Harmon curve. (There is almost no correlation between price & sound quality but the AKG does seem to have a reputation for being "fragile".)

You may also have a preference for open or closed headphones and it's important that they are comfortable for you (so it's helpful if you can try them) especially if you listen to headphones for long periods of time.

OP
Nick2D

Nick2D

Hi thanks for the answers, the sound of the MS1 is not bad but in the long run the headband starts to bother me, I listen to the music on the Fiio X1.

We're here. Industrial Metal is my preferred genre, so I'm searching for a good pair of headphones (Rammstein, Emigrate, Lindemann, Pain). The Alessandro Grado MS1 is the guitar that I now possess. I'd want to discover something more challenging and interesting in these bands so that I can enjoy them more. Also, if you spend a lot of time listening to headphones, you may prefer open or closed headphones, and this choice should be taken into consideration.

Foxenfurter

Hi Nick80. You haven't provided much information such as what you like/dislike about the MS1. What your budget is, what environment you listen in and whether you have access to EQ. Without knowing this you are going to get poor advice.

I also own Alessandro MS1 - they are bass light very light to wear and comfortable but not for extended periods. They leak sound like a leaky thing and can sound very different with different pads.

I would suggest as a further step trying them out with EQ to Harmon curve and see how you like that. IMHO Alessandros are tuned for rock so you will lose upper mid range bite and gain some bass. To my ears this is better but I like electronic stuff and am not into metal.

If you liked the EQ sound something like Sennheiser 569S or Hifiman (cheaper offerings) would be solid choices without ramping up the budget too much. I have Fostex TH600 - heavily modded. But this was because I wanted a more bassy closed back, and recently bought Sennheiser 599 - cos it was on a super cheap offer. I EQ them both and I am not rushing out to replace them.

F

freemansteve

I have tried dozens of headphones for comfort, and most irritate me after 10mins, and I have owned plenty that were annoyingly fragile.

I currently use cheap Austrian Audio HiX15. I have said elsewhere they are too bright for most of my music (I can't be bothered with fiddling with EQ all the time) but they are excellently comfy, and I can easily watch a 2 hour film without noticing them. They also have fairly robust metal hinges.

OP
Nick2D

Nick2D

Hello everybody,
the Alessandro MS1 are not bad with all the genres I listen to are fine, but for long sessions after a while my head hurts, I don't use amplifiers or equalizers. Spending $ 150
They proposed me the new Alessandro MS1 X or the Grado SR 325 X (the more expensive) for an improvement.
Currently I have no brand or type preferences (open or closed) the important thing is comfort and quality listening

Last edited:

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Get some planars to your liking and pocket with fast response (and amp for them).

JoeBrooklyn

I listen to a fair amount of hard rock, punk and metal - though not as industrial (less Rammstein and Pain and more Slipknot). I am very happy with the Sennheiser 6xx from Drop. Relatively inexpensive, durable and comfortable. I enjoy the balanced sound and nuance it brings out, particularly in the vocals.

JoeBrooklyn

I don't use amplifiers or equalizers.
Suggestion: Try a good headphone DAC/AMP combo like the Topping DX3 Pro+ or the Schiit Magni/Modi. And add some DSP at the source (laptop?). A little bit of correction can make a headphone sound much less fatiguing. There are many correction curves for all of the headphones listed in this thread.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I have little ego to bruise so here goes (diving in with the sharks). I like the Sennheiser HD25 (I use the light SP version, but the full on head-clamp model has more bass as you'd expect). Mids are pretty good, or were judged so for many years and I never had an issue with the hf peak which isn't severe with a good headphone amp. Impedance 64 ohms and not difficult to drive.

No idea if the above is good enough though, but I've had mine for twenty years and still rate 'em...

OP
Nick2D

Nick2D

Thanks to all, in my combination I currently do not use a computer but a DAP, the idea of an amplifier could come in handy, in my musical life I have always used earphones a little for convenience a little for simplicity, but since I have I started listening well, the idea of having a good headset has taken me more and more and for this reason I always ask for advice :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
With an amp like Schiit Heresy Magni or JDS Atom. I don't know but there are probably and power enough flask alike battery amps to push enough voltage for those hedaphones which are definitely for home use.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks to all, in my combination I currently do not use a computer but a DAP, the idea of an amplifier could come in handy, in my musical life I have always used earphones a little for convenience a little for simplicity, but since I have I started listening well, the idea of having a good headset has taken me more and more and for this reason I always ask for advice :)
DAPs run off batteries, the higher the Ohm (impedance) the more voltage is needed to drive the headphones (typically), bigger power draw.
So lower Ohm headphones should make the battery charge last longer.

Top Bottom