• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way from computer into receiver

Brab

I want to stream a concert video from my computer to my Yamaha RX-V385 receiver. I can simply do audio and video via HDMI to the receiver, or I can take the audio from my computer to an external DAC (better than the Yamaha internal DAC) via USB, and then to the receiver either via analog or SPDIF. For best audio quality, is there a best way of these three options? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'm guessing you have the RX-V385 (left), not the RX-385?
g022RXV385-F.jpg 61PO3G3lFrL.jpg

If so, then the best sound quality will be achieved with HDMI carrying both audio and video, while utilizing the Yamaha's "YPAO" room correction, and with Eco mode turned off.

yofi

I want to stream a concert video from my computer to my Yamaha RX-V385 receiver. I can simply do audio and video via HDMI to the receiver, or I can take the audio from my computer to an external DAC (better than the Yamaha internal DAC) via USB, and then to the receiver either via analog or SPDIF. For best audio quality, is there a best way of these three options? Thanks in advance.
WIth a DAC you would just use one of the receivers analog inputs. Why don't you think the built in DAC is up to the task? I have my streamer plugged into the RX-V385's S/PDIF input and I think it sounds fine.

OP
B

Brab

I am now going directly from my PC into the receiver via HDMI, thus relying on the receiver's built in DAC. Thanks all.

Top Bottom