• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

HD650 Earpads Life

twobrat

Out of curiousity, for those diehard hd650 lovers. How often do you guys replace your earpads? I'm personally on my 3rd replacement. I've owned the cans for probably 10 years now. Most days they are on my head for 4 or more hours.

I've owned my set for about 3 years now and the pads look fine. I only get the opportunity to use mine for 4-5 hours per week though.

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
7 years, look new here, but very light usage.

thewas

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Beware that even when they look still new after some years they become flatter which has also a tonal (see here) and comfort effect, so best is to have a new pair aside to compare their heights from time to time.

I ordered my first replacements 7 months after I bought the headphones. But they‘re on my head 8-12 hours a day for work, so pretty heavy use.

solderdude

Major Contributor
Longevity of the pads is circumstance dependent.
It is affected by things like 'fuming' of pressed wood (in cheaper cabinets), clamping force, hours of usage, grease from the skin (composition) and sweat etc.

Depends on the weather too. Heat and sweat can make them sink and stink. Here in hot and humid tropical Philippines, my bedroom HD598cs pads have to be changed annually because I use them every night. My less used workstation HD58x and HD 25 SP can go a couple of years before pad changes because I use speakers more often than headphones.

Bob-23

When dirt is the problem - the pads can easily be washed, at least, once or twice: lukewarm water, any mild dish-washing detergent, a towel for 'pre'drying them.

Veri

Major Contributor
Annually sounds about right. Faster if you are OCD about it :p

SJ777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Annually sounds about right. Faster if you are OCD about it :p
I agree. An annual treat for the ears. It's like clean sheets day! (Although hopefully that happens more than once a year!!!)