• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD650 Earpads Life

twobrat

Out of curiousity, for those diehard hd650 lovers. How often do you guys replace your earpads? I'm personally on my 3rd replacement. I've owned the cans for probably 10 years now. Most days they are on my head for 4 or more hours.

mugbot

Forum Donor
I've owned my set for about 3 years now and the pads look fine. I only get the opportunity to use mine for 4-5 hours per week though.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
7 years, look new here, but very light usage.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Beware that even when they look still new after some years they become flatter which has also a tonal (see here) and comfort effect, so best is to have a new pair aside to compare their heights from time to time.

Kuma

I ordered my first replacements 7 months after I bought the headphones. But they‘re on my head 8-12 hours a day for work, so pretty heavy use.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Longevity of the pads is circumstance dependent.
It is affected by things like 'fuming' of pressed wood (in cheaper cabinets), clamping force, hours of usage, grease from the skin (composition) and sweat etc.

makinao

Depends on the weather too. Heat and sweat can make them sink and stink. Here in hot and humid tropical Philippines, my bedroom HD598cs pads have to be changed annually because I use them every night. My less used workstation HD58x and HD 25 SP can go a couple of years before pad changes because I use speakers more often than headphones.

Bob-23

When dirt is the problem - the pads can easily be washed, at least, once or twice: lukewarm water, any mild dish-washing detergent, a towel for 'pre'drying them.

Veri

Master Contributor
Annually sounds about right. Faster if you are OCD about it :p

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Annually sounds about right. Faster if you are OCD about it :p
I agree. An annual treat for the ears. It's like clean sheets day! (Although hopefully that happens more than once a year!!!)

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When you guys talk about replacing the pads for the HD 650 do you mean authentic pad replacement (about $45 - $50)?

I just bought a pair of HD 650 for $100 that was originally purchased about 10 years ago from the pictures it looks like the pads should be replaced.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you guys talk about replacing the pads for the HD 650 do you mean authentic pad replacement (about $45 - $50)?

Yes, unless you want to change the tonal balance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
These are cheap alternatives and only change the sound slightly.

HD650 vs cheap knock-off Ali-Express

1622209397864.png

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! 5 weeks for delivery on those Ali "Express". ;-)

I think I'll just get the genuines.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I had totally forgotten I ordered them by the time they arrived.

planning on never replacing my 6XX pads because I don't even like the thing and bought the Elegia so lol
sorry for being a shitter couldn't help myself

MRC01

Major Contributor
I've owned my HD580 (same or similar pads to the 650) for over 20 years and have replaced the pads several times. I have noticed that before the pads show any obvious wear, they have squished down a bit. When I install new ones (always OEM pads), they sound a bit more "thin" or "bright". That is, as the pads squish with use, they shift voicing to be a bit darker. So, if you wait until the pads obviously need replacing, you're effectively listening to a different "version" of the headphone.

I've owned my HD580 (same or similar pads to the 650) for over 20 years and have replaced the pads several times. I have noticed that before the pads show any obvious wear, they have squished down a bit. When I install new ones (always OEM pads), they sound a bit more "thin" or "bright". That is, as the pads squish with use, they shift voicing to be a bit darker. So, if you wait until the pads obviously need replacing, you're effectively listening to a different "version" of the headphone.
ever found any pads that sound better? I remember when I started and got brainwavz adapter and oval angled sheepskins... after that I wondered why they even made the damn adapter

MRC01

Major Contributor
ever found any pads that sound better? ...
Define "better" ;) I prefer the slightly darker sound of pads that are worn and a just bit squished, yet still in clean good condition. Others might prefer the brighter sound of brand new pads.

To answer your question, "no". I've always used OEM pads because I like this headphone. The only real drawback is that it attenuates the lowest bass and I haven't seen any pads that fix this. Sometimes a sealed pad, like leather, can improve this but I haven't seen any for the HD580. And if they did exist I'd want to ensure they don't mess up the mids that this headphone gets right. Don't let the cure become worse than the disease!

Top Bottom