• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anyone compared different acoustically transparent fabrics?

Richdw

I'm re-finishing a great-sounding, tired-looking pair of BNS Soundcolumn 3 isobaric floorstanders and I can't find tubular material to slide over the whole thing, as per the original "sock" grill. The only fabrics I can find are too heavy or the wrong size. Several speakers have this type of tubular cloth sock grills so presumably it is still available. Any tips, ideally available in the UK? Thanks, R

hctrivedi3

I tested a few of them. They all have sonic impact if they are close to the speaker. Here is a comparison of a couple of them and the grill for the Revel speaker itself:

View attachment 111384

As you see, they have attenuation which increases with frequency.

It is worth it though to cover the speaker if it is for a home theater. It keeps your eye focused on the image, not the speakers.
Hey! Can you please let me know which tool did you use to simulate this response?

Top Bottom