• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Has anybody tried Tidal's Dolby Atmos?

EB1000

I gave it a try using my AppleTV connected to my Yamaha RX-A2070. The Atmos playlist only contains thug's music, and the Atmos effect is very limited. A total waste of the format. I wasn't able to find any piece of music that can take full advantage of immersive audio. Why would anyone bother mixing crap "music" like RAP/hip-hop/pop in Atmos?

I don't even think the music was truly remastered in Atmos. It sound like they took the original stereo master and decoded it using DSU and then encoded the not discrete channels as Atmos, because I get a better surround effect by playing the stereo version of the song using DSU...

Darvis

Sorry to derail your thread, but I was wondering why you're using the ATV instead of the embedded airplay capability. Is there a sound difference in your experience?

OP
EB1000

EB1000

Sorry to derail your thread, but I was wondering why you're using the ATV instead of the embedded airplay capability. Is there a sound difference in your experience?

Tried the AVR's internal Tidal player. NO ATMOS... I'm guessing it's not supported by Yamaha...

Darvis

Indeed, it seems limited to the tidal app on the ATV (or anything where the app can be updated, like the fire tv)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your descriptions of music you don't like are pretty childish. Don't do that.

That said, there is a long thread about this topic elsewhere(and Quadrophonic Quad is a great forum to read if you're interested in surround music). There is not a lot of Atmos music on TIDAL yet, but there is some classical and other types of music. If you search "Dolby Atmos" you will find playlists containing it, such as these:
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/20d89946-f419-41a2-836d-f0bd97134907
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/bc549774-3121-46cf-b949-1f11b43e5a4a
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/41ef6128-79c2-49ee-a0ff-5ededac0c154
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/cf64007a-d489-4f90-830b-f30158f55d9b
etc.

OP
EB1000

EB1000

One more problem with Tidal's Atmos - mastering level is 24db lower than the HIFI/MQA masters...

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I gave it a try using my AppleTV connected to my Yamaha RX-A2070. The Atmos playlist only contains thug's music, and the Atmos effect is very limited. A total waste of the format. I wasn't able to find any piece of music that can take full advantage of immersive audio. Why would anyone bother mixing crap "music" like RAP/hip-hop/pop in Atmos?

I don't even think the music was truly remastered in Atmos. It sound like they took the original stereo master and decoded it using DSU and then encoded the not discrete channels as Atmos, because I get a better surround effect by playing the stereo version of the song using DSU...
Hi ,

This is not a place for what's clearly racist/prejudiced comments.

i see this escalated somewhat, let me be very clear if I see anything like this again from member @EB1000 they will be banned immediately. The member has been sanctioned.

I'd like to personally apologise to anyone who has taken offence, I take this extremely seriously and it's totally unacceptable.

id deleted all of it but the reaction from the community was good so I think that's informative and worth keeping in.

cheers

thread open.

Last edited:

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You may as well just went ahead and type ni**er music, because we all know what "thug" is code for.
Really? Hmm didn't know that (not a native). Always thought the term referred to people involved in criminal behavior. As such, the post of the OP elicited a chuckle from me, because my first association was him being a young person that apparently played too much Grand Theft Auto.

@topic: I tried one of the links from @Sancus posts but I am confused.
Do I need an extra decoder or is the music already mastered in Atmos? All I am getting is normal 2 channel stuff when I use Tidal in the web browser.

Not much sense of 3D here, all I can hear is pretty intense reverb.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? Hmm didn't know that (not a native). Always thought the term referred to people involved in criminal behavior.

Yes.

@topic: I tried one of the links from @Sancus posts but I am confused.
Do I need an extra decoder or is the music already mastered in Atmos? All I am getting is normal 2 channel stuff when I use Tidal in the web browser.

Not much sense of 3D here, all I can hear is pretty intense reverb.

Yes, you need specific devices. Atmos cannot be decoded on a PC from ANY source, streaming, bluray, or otherwise. So, if you have one of those devices(I use an Nvidia Shield TV) and an Atmos-supporting AVR with sufficient channels(minimum 7.1 or 5.1.2), then you can listen to this. It does work great. Not all of the tracks are very well mixed though, imo, but you can refer to the thread on the other forum if you want to read about that. I believe you technically can also stream the Atmos stuff on certain mobile devices, but virtualized Atmos surround on headphones is not the same thing.

The -24dB issue is a bug they've acknowledged, it's kind of annoying but you can just turn the volume up. It's still early days for this format of music.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's disappointing.
I thought they'd "pre-render" it for headphone use.

Thanks for the explanation and the rather long article. Will read when I find the time.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Always thought the term referred to people involved in criminal behavior.

That is the dictionary definition, but it's shifted into a racist euphemism recently. Even though your English is perfect, (IIRC you were in Germany?) you'd probably have to live in an Anglosphere country or watch a ton of international media to pick up on the new meaning.

Honestly though, the word "thug" in English seems to have been racist from the start. After the colonial period, and especially in America, it was free of any racist connotations for quite a while though.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the OP’s defense, the offensive comments were paired with poor electronic search skills.

-A quick search of the Atmos albums and playlists on the Tidal app actually will show a fairly diverse assortment.The first Atmos album currently showing on my AppleTV is "Jagged Little Pill." What a thug, that Alanis Morrissette! He could've even listened to "Freebird" and "Sweet Home Alabama!"

-There is already at least one thread concerning Atmos music on Tidal here on ASR. So clearly somebody here has tried it.

Webninja

Forum Donor
I have 4 Atmos speakers and tried Tidal (via app on Apple TV). I’m running 5.4 setup, and it was entertaining, but as others have mentioned, the content is minimal. Some material was more obviously atmos-y, but overall, I listened once for about 30 min, then never tried again.

AudialGold

Your descriptions of music you don't like are pretty childish. Don't do that.

That said, there is a long thread about this topic elsewhere(and Quadrophonic Quad is a great forum to read if you're interested in surround music). There is not a lot of Atmos music on TIDAL yet, but there is some classical and other types of music. If you search "Dolby Atmos" you will find playlists containing it, such as these:
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/20d89946-f419-41a2-836d-f0bd97134907
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/bc549774-3121-46cf-b949-1f11b43e5a4a
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/41ef6128-79c2-49ee-a0ff-5ededac0c154
https://listen.tidal.com/playlist/cf64007a-d489-4f90-830b-f30158f55d9b
etc.

I wonder how well Apple's spatial audio processing/API will be and if it might somehow integrate with Atmos. Since they made the API available to developers maybe we won't even need a music service to specifically provide music mixed for Atmos or Quadrophonic Quad to have a fuller immersive listening experience.

Also... thanks for the links. I'm currently debating on Qobuz or Tidal and those Tidal links might be fun to explore.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Some people really like RAP/hip-hop/pop. "Crap" music is just your opinion.

Top Bottom