• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hardware vs software over/up sampling?

HansHolland

Hello all,

Most DAC's do over/up sampling before doing the digital to analog conversion. If I understand the specifications of my DAC correctly then it does 8x over/up sampling with a resolution of 32-bit.

I am using Roon. Roon is able to over/up sample. It is claimed with 64-bit floating point precision.

The limit of my system for letting Roon doing the over/up sampling is the USB interface. My DAC has a highish 768kHz 32-bit USB input. Thus 16x over/up sampling is possible. And the calculations are (in theory) preciser.

Now I have the feeling that I hear that over/up sampling with Roon sounds better than letting the DAC doing the over/up sampling. But that might be just my brain that wants that it sounds better because I did some effort. Now my question: can somebody measure both situations and compare them?

I think that the difference is the largest when:
-the over/up sampling factor is large: choose a 44.1kHz track and a DAC with a high specification DAC input
-the DAC has NOT a very high specification over/up sampling filter (if the DAC has 64-bit floating point itself, then it makes no sense)

And do not forget to choose the same filter.
B.t.w. I use a RME ADI-2 DAC FS 1st generation.

Kind regards, Hans

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello all,

Most DAC's do over/up sampling before doing the digital to analog conversion. If I understand the specifications of my DAC correctly then it does 8x over/up sampling with a resolution of 32-bit.

I am using Roon. Roon is able to over/up sample. It is claimed with 64-bit floating point precision.

The limit of my system for letting Roon doing the over/up sampling is the USB interface. My DAC has a highish 768kHz 32-bit USB input. Thus 16x over/up sampling is possible. And the calculations are (in theory) preciser.

Now I have the feeling that I hear that over/up sampling with Roon sounds better than letting the DAC doing the over/up sampling. But that might be just my brain that wants that it sounds better because I did some effort. Now my question: can somebody measure both situations and compare them?

I think that the difference is the largest when:
-the over/up sampling factor is large: choose a 44.1kHz track and a DAC with a high specification DAC input
-the DAC has NOT a very high specification over/up sampling filter (if the DAC has 64-bit floating point itself, then it makes no sense)

And do not forget to choose the same filter.
B.t.w. I use a RME ADI-2 DAC FS 1st generation.

Kind regards, Hans
Do a blind test. Have a friend switch the roon upsampling on and off noting whether you think it's on /off before and after a switch, you blinded.

I think unfortunately it adds a delay into proceedings so not an instant A/B switch, but it's the only way to tell if there's a difference

Top Bottom