• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X18 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 232 88.2%

• Total voters

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But then there would be no advantage in buying the X18.
Well, there are not enough differences to upgrade from an X16, but the bigger display letters, lower output impedance, and improved volume control mean that the X18 would be practical to directly drive an amplifier vs having to use a preamp (I'm using the Topping Pre90). For those who care about MQA, the X18 is a Full Decoder on all inputs. For example, it would be possible to connect a CD transport to an X18 and decode MQA CDs while that's not possible with the X16. The X18 has more filters to play with. Probably some other stuff I forgot.

I see enough differences that, if I did not already own an X16, I'd be willing to pay 50% more for the X18. Plus, having new stuff feels a bit more future-proof…in spite of the fact that such a concept does not exist with DACs. :)

Sunken

Well, there are not enough differences to upgrade from an X16, but the bigger display letters, lower output impedance, and improved volume control mean that the X18 would be practical to directly drive an amplifier vs having to use a preamp (I'm using the Topping Pre90). For those who care about MQA, the X18 is a Full Decoder on all inputs. For example, it would be possible to connect a CD transport to an X18 and decode MQA CDs while that's not possible with the X16. The X18 has more filters to play with. Probably some other stuff I forgot.

I see enough differences that, if I did not already own an X16, I'd be willing to pay 50% more for the X18. Plus, having new stuff feels a bit more future-proof…in spite of the fact that such a concept does not exist with DACs. :)
Hey mate, have you thought about getting a second hand x18 or even x26 pro?

Reynaldo

In my case I don't use it as a pre amplifier and I don't use MQA either.
I just use it as a DAC.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm planning to buy X18 when is around $500.

No hursh... I got E30 recently. I'm just fine with it (until X18 is around $500).

andreadilo

comparing them side by side this week end, there is an audible difference.

system is composed by
Source: Oppo 205, Bluesound Node, Marantz ND8006
Pre: Mc C53
Final: MC312
speakers: B&W 702
both DAC are connected via XLR to the Pre, EQ deactivated of course
I bought the D90SE for 800€ (special promotion) and 749 for the X18, so for me price difference is not an issue

X18 seems to have an higher volume than the D90SE, probably due do different voltage output, but difference is audible.
X18 is brighter and more detailed than the D90SE, seems to somehow emphatize the mid frequency of the vocals
Playing MQA is not possible to select filters (FIR), so the processin should be similar in this case,
My wife took 10 seconds of playing (Hey you MQA version in this case from Tidal) to decide she prefers the X18
My daughter took several minutes, switching from one input to the other, before decidind she also prefers the X18
I did myself a blind test, not knowing at which input the two DAC were connected, but in the end I prefers the X18.
Playing the D90SE, it seems there is a kind of veil on the speakers, veil that is lifted when using the X18

I will keep the X18 and send back the D90SE, but the X18 has an issue with the cover of the optical port, that is broken, so the connection is a bit "loose"

IMG_3545.jpg

Last edited:

flz

comparing them side by side this week end, there is an audible difference

View attachment 190721
the suspense is killing me, what is the difference and which one do you prefer? The display on the gustard in your pic seems to have a serious problem with letters/numbers being cut off, if so - that's a serious QC issue IMO.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Reactions: RHO

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once and for all, there is no audible difference between any two DAC's. If you haven't the requisite level matching and blind tests and A/B testing on the two, there is no way to substantiate any claims of two DAC's sounding different.

I have a Topping E30 and a Schiit Modi 3 and even when I did a sighted test by swapping the two whilst playing from the same source and track, I couldn't tell the two apart.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Once and for all, there is no audible difference between any two DAC's.

You need a few qualifiers in there, but audible differences between competent DACs tend to be smaller than anyone can reliably differentiate, as I know you know.

Making it as sweeping as you did just gives room for the claimants to successfully hide in the corner cases ;)

andreadilo

the suspense is killing me, what is the difference and which one do you prefer? The display on the gustard in your pic seems to have a serious problem with letters/numbers being cut off, if so - that's a serious QC issue IMO.
the cutting off is only visibile in the photo, due to the refresh rate of the display, no issue to the human eye. The real problem of the X18 display is that is too dim, also at max level, as you can see in the photo

andreadilo

Once and for all, there is no audible difference between any two DAC's. If you haven't the requisite level matching and blind tests and A/B testing on the two, there is no way to substantiate any claims of two DAC's sounding different.

I have a Topping E30 and a Schiit Modi 3 and even when I did a sighted test by swapping the two whilst playing from the same source and track, I couldn't tell the two apart.
really there is a difference, not only to my ears but also to my wife and daughter

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
yes of course, in this case I use only my reference songs

I meant, did you know which device was playing, not which songs. ;)

It is hard to do meaningful comparisons between devices like this without controlling for the biases we all have as humans. I don't doubt you heard differences by the way...

Match levels so both are the same volume, make it so you can't know what device is playing (blind test), and those differences will tend to disappear.

Here is a video our host put together on the subject if you wanted to put your collective ears to a bit of a challenge. If you've never done one, it can be quite humbling...at least it was for me when I was as convinced as you are.

andreadilo

I meant, did you know which device was playing, not which songs. ;)

It is hard to do meaningful comparisons between devices like this without controlling for the biases we all have as humans. I don't doubt you heard differences by the way...

Match levels so both are the same volume, make it so you can't know what device is playing (blind test), and those differences will tend to disappear.

Here is a video our host put together on the subject if you wanted to put your collective ears to a bit of a challenge. If you've never done one, it can be quite humbling...at least it was for me when I was as convinced as you are.

I did myself a blind test

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
X18 seems to have an higher volume than the D90SE, probably due do different voltage output, but difference is audible.

That's why you need to match output levels before comparing. Louder will almost always = better in a preference test, and more than @.1dB difference can skew results. A multimeter makes it easy, as by ear or handheld phone app isn't going to do it with much confidence.

Top Bottom