• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A18

KingFiercer

Of course, it’s a pity that there is no toslink. But I like its look and form factor, and it has good measurements. I pre-ordered one, maybe it will replace my Topping D70.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
First recent product to ditch discrete circuits from them. Looks like a big move from them.

wineandmusic

on paper it is an interesting object ......

The A18 is the Lowest price dac that measures well, has a Linear Power supply, and balanced outputs...not to mention it has the lastest ak4499 chips and a remote...and is currently on sale for only $505....it will likely go back up to $550-$599 in a couple days.

You can buy at apos.audio (US based) and ask them to match shenzenaudio price (provide them link)

Last edited:

TimF

Forum Donor
Late last week I received a Gustard A18 I ordered from hifigo. It is larger than the Topping D90. It works fine via usb input from a laptop computer, and via coax from cd player with digital output. I am pleased with it but I haven't attempted to switch between the D90 and the A18 to compare them. I am connecting the Gustard A18 directly to a Hypex based amplifier (Hypex 502MP). It is summer and I am not as analytically minded as I am during the winter (I'm in Minnesota and we are a different kettle of fish in summer than in winter) so I may just enjoy the machine and avoid focused detailed analytical listening to it. It is of sufficient weight as to be rewarding to hold. The D90 is less so rewarding to hold.

About Minnesota, let me add that in the deep winter when it is very cold like -20 or colder that sensitive electronic equipment in the home may act up. Sensitive audio equipment may have performance lapses due to the effect on incoming electrical supply coming from twenty below zero electric lines. In specific circumstances of extreme cold the electrons have what I call a reluctance. I am studying it and am working out a reluctance formula. The Fleetham reluctance formula. Now that causes me to wonder if there is an opposite effect in extreme heat. Perhaps in the extreme heat of the midlands in California in the summer the electricity in major power lines gets a bit over excited, or aroused, and that may have been a factor in fires caused by the PG&E power lines.

Last edited:

wineandmusic

Late last week I received a Gustard A18 I ordered from hifigo. It is larger than the Topping D90. It works fine via usb input from a laptop computer, and via coax from cd player with digital output. I am pleased with it but I haven't attempted to switch between the D90 and the A18 to compare them. I am connecting the Gustard A18 directly to a Hypex based amplifier (Hypex 502MP). It is summer and I am not as analytically minded as I am during the winter (I'm in Minnesota and we are a different kettle of fish in summer than in winter) so I may just enjoy the machine and avoid focused detailed analytical listening to it. It is of sufficient weight as to be rewarding to hold. The D90 is less so rewarding to hold.

About Minnesota, let me add that in the deep winter when it is very cold like -20 or colder that sensitive electronic equipment in the home may act up. Sensitive audio equipment may have performance lapses due to the effect on incoming electrical supply coming from twenty below zero electric lines. In specific circumstances of extreme cold the electrons have what I call a reluctance. I am studying it and am working out a reluctance formula. The Fleetham reluctance formula. Now that causes me to wonder if there is an opposite effect in extreme heat. Perhaps in the extreme heat of the midlands in California in the summer the electricity in major power lines gets a bit over excited, or aroused, and that may have been a factor in fires caused by the PG&E power lines.

I would love for you to try to compare the two when you get a chance. Many suggest that dacs will sound the same that measure the same and curious if you find this also true between the d90 and a18...thanks!

Do you have any DSD music to try as well? there are some free tracks by David Elias that are superb recordings here....
https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx
I have heard if you play them in "DAC" mode, they will sound even better (native dsd with no dsp).

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would love for you to try to compare the two when you get a chance. Many suggest that dacs will sound the same that measure the same and curious if you find this also true between the d90 and a18...thanks!

Do you have any DSD music to try as well? there are some free tracks by David Elias that are superb recordings here....
https://www.oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx
I have heard if you play them in "DAC" mode, they will sound even better (native dsd with no dsp).

You should try DSD 512 streams :) The Yuko Mabuchi Trio in DSD 512 sounds superb!
index.php

gto88

Hi, Got my A18 yesterday, first time Gustard owner, its remote cannot turn unit off?
Is the power switch in the back the only way to turn it on/off?

wineandmusic

Hi, Got my A18 yesterday, first time Gustard owner, its remote cannot turn unit off?
Is the power switch in the back the only way to turn it on/off?

that would be a stupid remote...i hope it at least has auto off when no music or when usb power is turned off??
Maybe you have to long hold one of the buttons to turn it off like the topping?
Does it come with a manual?

how does it sound?

Last edited:

themystical

no manual,but there is mini disc, need to find a driver to load it.
An usb stick instead would be good. Audeze has it.
Very short impression out of box, sounds clean and bright.
Will try to compare with Sabaj d5 Ess9038pro.
Looking forward to your subjective comparison with the Sabaj D5

gto88

download the manual from it min-disc, it has no power on/off function on remote.
and it has no auto off when no signal fed.
and its commercial picture says it has full function remote? that is not true, and really inconvenient
to turn it on/off from the back.

I did a comparison A18 (AK4499) and Sabaj D5 (ES9038Pro), A/B on ONE music only, but I did back and forth
for quite some times. using same amp and headphone.
The music (a well recorded version of Mongolian) has instrument sounding left and right and drums, and
female vocals.
Both are good but on A/B, I sense AK4499 can reproduce music in more detailed, those you won't
pay attention unless doing A/B carefully, AK4499 has a tad better sound field (not stage) blending all music
with those revealed detailed. Vocals on AK4499 is a tad smoother. But it is personal preference, and A18 is
still in honey moon period. 9038pro has faster and harder bass when drum is hit, Ak4499 has a tad more extension.
Take my words with a tad more salt than usual, as this is all from one music and my subjective preference.

themystical

download the manual from it min-disc, it has no power on/off function on remote.
and it has no auto off when no signal fed.
and its commercial picture says it has full function remote? that is not true, and really inconvenient
to turn it on/off from the back.

I did a comparison A18 (AK4499) and Sabaj D5 (ES9038Pro), A/B on ONE music only, but I did back and forth
for quite some times. using same amp and headphone.
The music (a well recorded version of Mongolian) has instrument sounding left and right and drums, and
female vocals.
Both are good but on A/B, I sense AK4499 can reproduce music in more detailed, those you won't
pay attention unless doing A/B carefully, AK4499 has a tad better sound field (not stage) blending all music
with those revealed detailed. Vocals on AK4499 is a tad smoother. But it is personal preference, and A18 is
still in honey moon period. 9038pro has faster and harder bass when drum is hit, Ak4499 has a tad more extension.
Take my words with a tad more salt than usual, as this is all from one music and my subjective preference.
Thanks for your subjective impressions.

wineandmusic

I got my Gustard A18 and it sounds as good or better than any DAC I have heard, and I am pleased.
Most notably is depth and detail especially with native DSD256.

The DAC is solid and well built.

Last edited:
Top Bottom