• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A18

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the deals thread there are some A18 deals popping up, last of the inventory before they hit the dry spell on AKM chips:
Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales | Page 86 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Gustard A18 $471 with code NEW5 at HIFI College
GUSTARD DAC-A18 AK4499 Balanced DAC LME49860*6 Decoder with Remote Con (hificollege.net)

IDK who else has them in stock, if you find someone listing them as in stock shipping now - not pre-order - then please share here or in the deals thread. :)

Ntrax

Audio Company
Does anyone know what is that tiny hole infront of that A18,X16 or even the H16? Just left side of the volume wheel. Middle of the groove pattern in front.

Fleuch

I was fortunate to have own both the A18/D90. Ive used the d90 longer than the A18, So as soon switch DAC I know the difference. I prefer more extended treble and air from the A18. Soundstage more wider. D90 bass goes abit deeper. So you need choose a right gear to pair with. My 2C can compensate the extend treble and lesser sub bass. A18 more neutral in sound. D90 is more smooth in treble. (Rounded Treble) In a way..i do think the AKM DAC implemented better on A18. But that just down on my preference as I need more treble extension. A18 mids is very neutral, no bumps, same to its bass. D90 have a little lower frequency up therefore sound deeper. A18 a little more analytical due to more airy and extend treble. And neutral sound. D90 more musical due to more lower frequency and rounded off smooth treble. With that being said, the A18 is still musical in away it sounds natural and let you hear more in the sound spectrum. Both are very detailed and clean. Great separation and depth. Great clarity. Measurements 118 vs 120db / 6vrms vs 4Vrms, A18 volume threshold sound more lively due to that extra volume gain. There you go. Seriously there are no worst on both dacs. Both are excellent performer. Build i will give to A18 more heavy and substantial. Sorry not very good at audiophile terms and bad English.

The measurements of the performance of a DAC are a snapshot of how accurately the output waveform follows the input data, together with an indication of any unwanted contribution the DAC itself makes. Using the same test equipment with the same settings, so the test conditions are as near as possible to being the same when testing different devices, provides a basis for fair and objective comparison between devices and manufacturers.

There are some areas where the same test conditions cannot be repeated. Power supplies do have a potential impact on the performance of a DAC. Some use external power adaptors, others use an internal power supply; some use switched mode power supplies, others use linear power supplies; power supply voltages vary. It is just not possible to use the same power supply for every test.

Another example is how a DAC responds to a complex waveform. From the valued information in each review, I understand that the input signals used in the test procedures are pure sinusoids, synthesised by the test equipment. The transient response of a DAC to a complex, music data stream may not exactly reflect the response to a steady state sinusoid. In all fairness, it is unlikely that the differences will noticeably affect the sound quality but might contribute to the overall perception of a listener.

However, performance figures are only one side of the coin. So many variable factors can affect the listening experience when a DAC, or any other component, is connected into an audio system. The only way to make a comparison is by an A <=> B test, in the same system and under similar conditions. Any result is subjective, based on the opinion and perception of the listener. This is the other side of the coin; both are required to provide a complete picture.

As other members have reminded me, the performance of a DAC depends on the design of the whole circuit, including power supplies, and, not solely on whether the converter chip itself is manufactured by AKM, Burr-Brown, Cirrus, ESS, Wolfson, etc. In other words, the overall implementation is important.

For this reason, I much appreciate the posting from Ntrax, as it suggests to me that the Gustard A18 (sadly no longer available) would be a better match for the music I listen to than the Topping D90. Both DACs have similar performance figures but, when part of an audio system, the listening experience is different. Reports such as this have a place on this forum, rather than on other forums where the bragging rights are based on the longest list of high-end equipment in use (and the cables used to connect the pieces together, not to mention the music collection).

This, the perception of a listener, is as much about the performance of a piece of equipment as the performance figures, which provide the essential, valuable objective basis for comparison.

Both have a place but without the work done by Amir and his colleagues, we would still be in the Dark Age of Audio.

Veri

Master Contributor
As other members have reminded me, the performance of a DAC depends on the design of the whole circuit, including power supplies, and, not solely on whether the converter chip itself is manufactured by AKM, Burr-Brown, Cirrus, ESS, Wolfson, etc. In other words, the overall implementation is important.

For this reason, I much appreciate the posting from Ntrax, as it suggests to me that the Gustard A18 (sadly no longer available) would be a better match for the music I listen to than the Topping D90. Both DACs have similar performance figures but, when part of an audio system, the listening experience is different.
Lots of conjecture but zero proof. There are threads about this kind of "stuff" spanning almost 100 pages.
But no, I'll go out of my way and say that the only difference in listening experience is what you make of it.

Sukie

Forum Donor
However, performance figures are only one side of the coin. So many variable factors can affect the listening experience when a DAC, or any other component, is connected into an audio system. The only way to make a comparison is by an A <=> B test, in the same system and under similar conditions. Any result is subjective, based on the opinion and perception of the listener. This is the other side of the coin; both are required to provide a complete picture..
Both are required to provide the complete picture of your subjective experience. Only one side of the coin (measurements/features etc.) is needed to provide the complete picture of the DAC.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There could be many reasons to choose a dac and not another.
Even during this very similar performant momentum and having same features; the performance of the company (particularly if situated in China) could be a reason to chose one and not the other.
I like Gustard's SQ, built quality and "housing" but when it comes to company's communication, marketing, PR aso I like it much less.
Does anybody know why the A18 the X26 is not on sale anymore ?
Maybe the answer is on their web site or on their FB page .... (very small LOL)

Ntrax

Audio Company
The measurements of the performance of a DAC are a snapshot of how accurately the output waveform follows the input data, together with an indication of any unwanted contribution the DAC itself makes. Using the same test equipment with the same settings, so the test conditions are as near as possible to being the same when testing different devices, provides a basis for fair and objective comparison between devices and manufacturers.

There are some areas where the same test conditions cannot be repeated. Power supplies do have a potential impact on the performance of a DAC. Some use external power adaptors, others use an internal power supply; some use switched mode power supplies, others use linear power supplies; power supply voltages vary. It is just not possible to use the same power supply for every test.

Another example is how a DAC responds to a complex waveform. From the valued information in each review, I understand that the input signals used in the test procedures are pure sinusoids, synthesised by the test equipment. The transient response of a DAC to a complex, music data stream may not exactly reflect the response to a steady state sinusoid. In all fairness, it is unlikely that the differences will noticeably affect the sound quality but might contribute to the overall perception of a listener.

However, performance figures are only one side of the coin. So many variable factors can affect the listening experience when a DAC, or any other component, is connected into an audio system. The only way to make a comparison is by an A <=> B test, in the same system and under similar conditions. Any result is subjective, based on the opinion and perception of the listener. This is the other side of the coin; both are required to provide a complete picture.

For this reason, I much appreciate the posting from Ntrax, as it suggests to me that the Gustard A18 (sadly no longer available) would be a better match for the music I listen to than the Topping D90. Both DACs have similar performance figures but, when part of an audio system, the listening experience is different. Reports such as this have a place on this forum, rather than on other forums where the bragging rights are based on the longest list of high-end equipment in use (and the cables used to connect the pieces together, not to mention the music collection).

This, the perception of a listener, is as much about the performance of a piece of equipment as the performance figures, which provide the essential, valuable objective basis for comparison.

Both have a place but without the work done by Amir and his colleagues, we would still be in the Dark Age of Audio.
Well said. Salute.

hmscott

There could be many reasons to choose a dac and not another.
Even during this very similar performant momentum and having same features; the performance of the company (particularly if situated in China) could be a reason to chose one and not the other.
I like Gustard's SQ, built quality and "housing" but when it comes to company's communication, marketing, PR aso I like it much less.
Does anybody know why the A18 the X26 is not on sale anymore ?
Maybe the answer is on their web site or on their FB page .... (very small LOL)
AKM Factory Fire? No more AKM DAC chips on the near term horizon - or medium-term for that matter.

There are still some A18's (last of the remaining inventory) showing for sale on AliExpress:
GUSTARD DAC-A18 – Buy GUSTARD DAC-A18 with free shipping on AliExpress

Shenzenaudio either never had or pulled their AKM using A18 entry, but they have the ESS X16 listed with a delay announcement:

Announcement For Gustard DAC-X16 (shenzhenaudio.com)

The AKM fire doesn't explain this delay :)

Last edited:

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AKM Factory Fire? No more AKM DAC chips on the near term horizon - or medium-term for that matter.

There are still some A18's (last of the remaining inventory) showing for sale on AliExpress:
GUSTARD DAC-A18 – Buy GUSTARD DAC-A18 with free shipping on AliExpress

Shenzenaudio either never had or pulled their AKM using A18 entry, but they have the ESS X16 listed with a delay announcement:

Announcement For Gustard DAC-X16 (shenzhenaudio.com)

The AKM fire doesn't explain this delay :)

As I tend to prove elsewhere on ASR, the A22 is still on sale and has 2 of these AKM dacs, so 2x more issues.
I agree with you @hmscott, I don't believe the fire is the only issue.

Ntrax

Audio Company
IMG-20201204-WA0040.jpg

The price has raised double, but whether still have stock is another thing.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which website is it ?
I couldn't find it on Taobao

The A18 is not offered at ShenzenAudio anymore,
A18 is sold out on Hifigo & Apos.
The A22 (non MQA) is still on sale.

KanedaK

@Ntrax
You could post your nice review on a totally different forum site like audiophilestyle.com but not here.
Sound impressions are not welcome here. I hope you know that now and you don't make such a mistake anymore.

I wasn't a member here and wasn't planning to become one (because serious audio is nothing without subjective impressions and listening) but I read your comment and I had to register, just to tell you how much of an idiot you really are. Sincerely.

Top Bottom