• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard A18

Morla

Forum Donor
Any issue with 119db? or is it have to be 120db to be good?

No, according to the dac measurement explaination thread everything above 116 is enough (given fft has not surprises above -130?)

Do not try to troll me :) just seeking idealistic settings

Last edited:

Ntrax

Audio Company
Not trolling man, i just feel weird when i read those statements about the A18 measurement being not that great. What is great and what are the benchmark of greatness in measurements? hehe. thats all. Well it does sound fantastic tbh.

Morla

Forum Donor
Not trolling man, i just feel weird when i read those statements about the A18 measurement being not that great. What is great and what are the benchmark of greatness in measurements? hehe. thats all. Well it does sound fantastic tbh.

I agree while at the same time that thing probably does not have a sound at all ;-)

I just saw @JohnYang1977 posting about the measurement specific which I liked to clarify for me since I lack the technical background

pimy

After I sold my D90, move on to A18 Standard for a day and sold it. Ordered the MQA version. After nearly a month, finally I don't need to use XD05plus as DAC. Just in time for the weekend. Great and affordable. A18 MQA》IHA-6》Modded 2C.
Gustard A18 MQA:
Highly recommended.
☆☆☆☆☆Neutral Sound.
☆☆☆☆Good Soundstage.
☆☆☆☆☆Excellent Clarity.
☆☆☆☆Good Separation.
☆☆☆☆☆Performance
☆☆☆☆☆Build Quality
☆☆☆☆☆Price
☆☆☆Configuration

[/CITATION]

Why do you prefer Gustard A18 to Topping D90 (apart from MQA)? Thank you

Ntrax

Audio Company
I was fortunate to have own both the A18/D90. Ive used the d90 longer than the A18, So as soon switch DAC I know the difference. I prefer more extended treble and air from the A18. Soundstage more wider. D90 bass goes abit deeper. So you need choose a right gear to pair with. My 2C can compensate the extend treble and lesser sub bass. A18 more neutral in sound. D90 is more smooth in treble. (Rounded Treble) In a way..i do think the AKM DAC implemented better on A18. But that just down on my preference as I need more treble extension. A18 mids is very neutral, no bumps, same to its bass. D90 have a little lower frequency up therefore sound deeper. A18 a little more analytical due to more airy and extend treble. And neutral sound. D90 more musical due to more lower frequency and rounded off smooth treble. With that being said, the A18 is still musical in away it sounds natural and let you hear more in the sound spectrum. Both are very detailed and clean. Great separation and depth. Great clarity. Measurements 118 vs 120db / 6vrms vs 4Vrms, A18 volume threshold sound more lively due to that extra volume gain. There you go. Seriously there are no worst on both dacs. Both are excellent performer. Build i will give to A18 more heavy and substantial. Sorry not very good at audiophile terms and bad English.

Last edited:

Nejiro

Hello, I wanted to ask you something, in the control panel of the dac drivers there is an option called "safe mode", can you tell me what it is for and if you should keep it enabled or disabled?
Thanks

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
, So as soon switch DAC I know the difference. I prefer more extended treble and air from the A18

If you could immediately tell the differences, it was likely either simply louder, or something wasn't set up properly to begin with.

If you were to match the output levels and do the test blind, the differences you are describing would almost certainly disappear.

Doing sound comparisons is not as simple as most believe...

I say this as someone who used to hear lots of differences as well, but once I actually did a more controlled test, the differences were gone.

Nejiro

You find me perfectly in agreement, on digital often (almost always for me) the differences you feel are suggestion, and when you do tests it happens that the component that costs more is always better, we don't talk about cables, then when you do they equalize the volume levels and do a blind test the differences disappear ..... I even had to read about those who have heard differences by changing a switch .......

Ntrax

Audio Company
Hello, I wanted to ask you something, in the control panel of the dac drivers there is an option called "safe mode", can you tell me what it is for and if you should keep it enabled or disabled?
Thanks
Haha. where?

Ntrax

Audio Company
If you could immediately tell the differences, it was likely either simply louder, or something wasn't set up properly to begin with.

If you were to match the output levels and do the test blind, the differences you are describing would almost certainly disappear.

Doing sound comparisons is not as simple as most believe...

I say this as someone who used to hear lots of differences as well, but once I actually did a more controlled test, the differences were gone.
Take it easy, you're a seasoned listener. Im just a beginner trying to enjoy the fullest of what i spend with my hard earn money. Whether is true to my ears or not doesnt matter at all. All is my own opinion. Im not suggesting to anyone. Just ppl ask me, i try to elaborate my own experience. Power/Vol match? doesnt matter to me too. It sound good whether D90 or A18. both excellent. Cheers man. Envy you have a good experience on audio. One day i hope i can be like you. Super analytical. Stay safe.

Ntrax

Audio Company
You find me perfectly in agreement, on digital often (almost always for me) the differences you feel are suggestion, and when you do tests it happens that the component that costs more is always better, we don't talk about cables, then when you do they equalize the volume levels and do a blind test the differences disappear ..... I even had to read about those who have heard differences by changing a switch .......
thats is another level of hearing. God tier listening. haha...im not. just a casual listener. Whether is a placebo effect or not....im loving the moment. Well not sure about changing that kind of parts will benefit the sound or not. Doesnt matter to ourself. Let those ppl enjoy. Those topic can debate until the end of the world still no one will win. Is preference and human mind.

Nejiro

Haha. where?
Have you installed the dac drivers? I put the version 4.86 downloaded from here https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#all (just write a18 in the search and you will find them), practically after installed on windows 10 you will see this panel control (you can find it in the applications at the bottom right) where it shows you various information and among which there is this option of the "safe mode" that I cannot understand what it is and what it is for ......

Ntrax

Audio Company
Have you installed the dac drivers? I put the version 4.86 downloaded from here https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#all (just write a18 in the search and you will find them), practically after installed on windows 10 you will see this panel control (you can find it in the applications at the bottom right) where it shows you various information and among which there is this option of the "safe mode" that I cannot understand what it is and what it is for ......
Ok that i have absolutely no idea. Lets wait for some experience ppl to tell us.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Take it easy, you're a seasoned listener. Im just a beginner trying to enjoy the fullest of what i spend with my hard earn money. Whether is true to my ears or not doesnt matter at all. All is my own opinion. Im not suggesting to anyone. Just ppl ask me, i try to elaborate my own experience. Power/Vol match? doesnt matter to me too. It sound good whether D90 or A18. both excellent. Cheers man. Envy you have a good experience on audio. One day i hope i can be like you. Super analytical. Stay safe.

I think you overestimate my listening skills! ;)

I want to make the most of my money as well, that's why I stumbled across this place initially...I was trying to figure out whether the $4k DAC I had just bought was worth it. After hearing how obviously amazing it was when I compared it to my other DAC's at first, I was encouraged to be a little more careful about how I compared them. Matching output levels simply means one won't seem louder, so won't just be preferred for that reason. Not looking means you aren't being influenced by what you are expecting to hear. Controlling for those two simple things suddenly made those night and day differences disappear like a fart in the wind.

This isn't being overly analytical, it's simply using my own resources to see if I can hear what others claim to hear. I couldn't. I doubt if they could either if they actually used basic controls.

thats is another level of hearing. God tier listening. haha...im not. just a casual listener. Whether is a placebo effect or not....im loving the moment.

No, it's the opposite. God tier would be those who claim they are immune to bias, have hearing so sensitive they could hear a concert in NYC from Sydney, and can't be bothered to actually do a controlled test because...well...they are very special and you should just listen to them.

Thing is, they aren't special...they are just like the rest of us who have a limited hearing range, limited ability to identify distortion, and myriad biases that will influence any comparison made, unless they are controlled for.

The endless search for the next placebo based fix, once the current one wears off, is what the high end industry counts on to keep us sending them our money while they laugh. To me, I'd rather keep my hard earned money, and let them learn how to make an honest living that doesn't involve deception as a fundamental operating principle.

It's almost like many are afraid to kill the placebo buzz, afraid they may never find improvement in anything again. Truth is, they may not...until they get to the things that WILL improve sound, like speakers, room treatment/correction, etc. Solid state boxes and wires aren't where you are going to find much in the way of SQ improvement...other than in a placebo sense. I'd rather get new speakers.

Last edited:

Ntrax

Audio Company
I think you overestimate my listening skills! ;)

I want to make the most of my money as well, that's why I stumbled across this place initially...I was trying to figure out whether the $4k DAC I had just bought was worth it. After hearing how obviously amazing it was when I compared it to my other DAC's at first, I was encouraged to be a little more careful about how I compared them. Matching output levels simply means one won't seem louder, so won't just be preferred for that reason. Not looking means you aren't being influenced by what you are expecting to hear. Controlling for those two simple things suddenly made those night and day differences disappear like a fart in the wind.

This isn't being overly analytical, it's simply using my own resources to see if I can hear what others claim to hear. I couldn't. I doubt if they could either if they actually used basic controls.

No, it's the opposite. God tier would be those who claim they are immune to bias, have hearing so sensitive they could hear a concert in NYC from Sydney, and can't be bothered to actually do a controlled test because...well...they are very special and you should just listen to them.

Thing is, they aren't special...they are just like the rest of us who have a limited hearing range, limited ability to identify distortion, and myriad biases that will influence any comparison made, unless they are controlled for.

The endless search for the next placebo based fix, once the current one wears off, is what the high end industry counts on to keep us sending them our money while they laugh. To me, I'd rather keep my hard earned money, and let them learn how to make an honest living that doesn't involve deception as a fundamental operating principle.

It's almost like many are afraid to kill the placebo buzz, afraid they may never find improvement in anything again. Truth is, they may not...until they get to the things that WILL improve sound, like speakers, room treatment/correction, etc. Solid state boxes and wires aren't where you are going to find much in the way of SQ improvement...other than in a placebo sense. I'd rather get new speakers.
Woah, 4K for a DAC. man you are serious in this game. No point comparing with this A18. hehe. Since you paid so much. There no need to compare. Just enjoy.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Woah, 4K for a DAC. man you are serious in this game. No point comparing with this A18. hehe. Since you paid so much. There no need to compare. Just enjoy.

I sent it back when I couldn't hear a difference between it and everything I compared it to, and bought some nice speakers instead.

That's more the point... Yes, I'm serious about good sound, and am willing to pay for it. However, I'm not willing to throw it away if the differences aren't REAL. I enjoy not wasting money, so there IS a need to compare, especially when pretty much every reviewer out there directly correlates sound quality to price.

Nejiro

Anyway I wonder why they have not put the stand-by mode on this dac, to turn it off you have to do it from the button behind ......

Top Bottom