• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Greetings!

Which would you rather have?

• Total voters

RayD8r

Hi all, I just joined. I'm shopping for some floor standing "tower" speakers and in racking my brain with, like everything nowadays, the overwhelming number of options. I get a headache going to get BBQ sauce for my burgers at the grocery store so this is definitely a challenge for me. I've been at this for well over 2 weeks now and am not nearly as close to a decision as I'd like to be so instead of reading the equally overwhelming yet much less fact based and far more absurd reviews that are out there I decided to look into some technical data and I wound up here.
I have 2x 12" subwoofers, decent brand self powered. Nothing special but I'm a bass head on a low budget and I like them because they do what I want them to. I had a 5.1 "kit" from a sub brand of them but have been upgrading to the main brand piece by piece and now I'm down to towers being the last piece of the puzzle and I'm stuck. My main reason for this is my budget, of course, so I'm looking for the biggest bang for my buck. I am a bass head but I am also an audioholic. Not an audiophile, yes, I believe there is a big difference. I don't want to be a part of anything that ends with -phile. There's just something wrong with those "philes", no thanks. I prefer my -holics. So I prefer sound quality over volume, however I do also enjoy a lot of volume as long as it sounds good, to me anyway, and I could pretty much care less what others think it sounds like because I listen to music for me, not anyone else.
I listen to music probably about 97% of the time my system is on, however I do enjoy a decent movie from time to time or if I have company, I like to be able to present a good sound experience to go along with the picture. I have all fairly decent equipment, nothing fancy or super expensive. I'm a lower middle of the road kinda guy and like to think that I would be regardless of my bank account balance or status. I can't stand cheap crap and I can't stand flashy "show off because I have lots of money" even more so. Emerson or GPX, I'd rather listen to my tinnitus, A system that cost more than most people will make in a lifetime? No thanks, gimme $5k for my system and use the rest to feed some kids!
So, the towers I have now have dome tweeters and 3x 5" drivers each, The rest of the system is from the makers of my subs and have 5.25" drivers with horn tweeters and I am noticing a severe lack of midrange in the system so I wish to try and rectify this condition for under $500. So now instead of boring you any further, I will head into the technical realm of speaker technology and see if that helps me at all. I'm hoping so as I usually do better with such data than I do with people's opinions. Ya know what they say about opinions dont'cha? They're just like _________ everyone has one and they all stink...
I threw a poll here just for fun. Choose up to 3 if you like and if you choose other, please elaborate with a reply. Thanks if you managed to read this far and I look forward to any input that anyone would like to share. Off to research I go...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome! Not a speaker guy so cant comment but I'm sure others will. Have a look at the speaker reviews on here, I struggle to get my head around the measurements but i believe there is a tutorial vid too.

What I can tell you is that brand/ price is no guarantee of objective performance.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Hello!

How big is your listening room?
You like bass, me too.:p

Do you have LP and HP filters between the sub and top speakers? Do you have EQ with your speakers?

Some budget options:
I've heard this. Very good.:)
I had chosen the speakers together with your subwoofers (sensibly integrated). But it's me. Not sure they fit you. In addition, tripod speakers.

I purchased the set for this review from Amazon for US $ 199 including free shipping....
I am happy to recommend the Wharfedale Diamond 220 speaker.

Budget that I have not heard but they seem to have a really good price-performance ratio:

Conclusions
Going into this review I expected the T50 to be junk. It did not turn out that way. It's a miracle of engineering and manufacturing to get a floor standing speaker in my hands for just $ 149 and have it not be broken...
I am going to recommend the Polk T50 especially with equalization.

Last edited:
OP
R

RayD8r

Listening room is 12x15 but the way I have to situate my furniture is weird because of the way the place is as far as egress, the single window I have to the outside world, outlets; power, cable, and phone line for internet and entertainment and I have a bunch of plants to consider as far as lighting and placement near the window so I have my seating and the entertainment center kind of caddy cornere. I have Onkyo Accu-EQ Advance. I used the mic as instructed but I set the distances myself with more accurate measurements than it had set itself but left everything else alone. I do also have an old school graphic equalizer but that is only in line with my turntable so it doesn't have any effect on the system as a whole more of a compliment to the tt built in preamp. Any hpf/lpf filtering is done through the AVR. I tried playing around with the settings and got it to a point where it sounds good to me but I have to change back and forth between music and TV and haven't figured out a way, if there is one, to save the lfe and hpf settings for this.
I do understand that brand and price aren't what matters in determining how something will sound to any particular individual and that sound preference is subjective but I also think there are certain standards that most people can agree on and that's all in really looking for as a part of my search. I have been looking at a set of Polks and I did check out those T-50s but I have my eye on the Monitor XT-70s

DanielT

Major Contributor
Most thought that there are those who do not use both LP and HP filters as well as EQ (mainly sub). It was green for you so the speakers then. Polk undeniably seems to have affordable prices.:)

The crux is, well, what's your budget now? under $500 for a pair of floor standing speakers? Hm. There are probably not that many, or rather there are probably more tripod speakers within your budget.

New or used?

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome @RayD8r !

Like some others above, I can't necessary make specific recommendations of brands from your list, but I did vote for "JBL," "Polk," and "Other." The reason I voted for those three is that you can at least narrow down your choices based on what speaker brands tend to measure well here - in other words which ones seem to be designed and engineered to roughly follow the principles of linearity, directivity, low distortion and so on that research indicate result in a speaker that expert and non-expert listeners generally rate as neutral and pleasing.

So with that in mind, based on @amirm 's measurements, JBL speakers generally (but not always) tend to follow that design principle. Similarly, if I recall correctly Amir has tested one, perhaps more, Polk models that do quite well too, particularly given their price point. And I selected "Other" too because if you look through the speaker reviews here you will find other brands and models that measure well too.

OP
R

RayD8r

I don't think the filters and the Accu-Eq do work at the same time, I usually only set the Accu-Eq on if I'm watching a movie or set the AVR to All Channel Stereo to have all the speakers on for music, but If I'm just tuning out on the couch I set the AVR to 2.1 for my towers and turn on zone 2 for both of the subs to be on.
I ordered some JBL Studio 570, found them for $179 each black friday sale. I know they are only dual 5.25" and I have triple 5" now so I hope I'm not just making a lateral move but I have extended holiday return window so I can at least check them out risk free for a month or so. They have better specs than my S-809 by far so hopefully they fit my needs. If not I will see how the Polk Monitor XT70 works as it has dual 8" and dual 6.5" drivers.

OP
R

RayD8r

I should have them Tuesday according to my tracking info but I was looking at specs again and apparently the specs that I was looking at before I purchased them are inaccurate because upon re examining the differences between them and my S-809s a second time to tell a friend about them, I noticed that the specs for my Jamos are actually better so I'll just have to see which ones actually sound better and go from there. I shut my subs down today and am just going to listen with only the 2 mains (Jamo S-809s) until they come. I do like how the Jamos sound by themselves, they just lack the bass of a large driver, they just don't, and can't move enough air to produce the deep bass I like.

Jamo S-809 specs (current mains towers)

The new Jamo Studio 8 series has been completely reimagined to live seamlessly in modern, premium environments. Contemporary material and finish choices accentuate the clean, minimalist lines of this European design, while the compact cabinet designs are an ideal solution for urban living environments around the world. The 1” soft dome tweeter provides smooth, refined high frequencies, with three 5” aluminized polyfiber woofers for balanced, cinematic low end. The integrated WaveGuide focuses the high frequency sound for dynamic, true-to-life reproduction, while the front-firing tube port allows for better low frequency extension with placement flexibility.

SEAMLESS DOLBY ATMOS® INTEGRATION​

Elegant metal fasteners atop the cabinet provide a chic, modern industrial look, but also serve as a connection point for the S 8 ATM Dolby Atmos elevation speaker. This patent-pending design allows for all of the wire connections on the back of the floorstander, avoiding unsightly and messy speaker wire going all the way up to the Atmos module - for cinematic, completely immersive Dolby Atmos®sound while preserving the beautiful aesthetic of the Jamo Studio 8 Series. Front firing tube port improves low frequency extension while maximizing placement options. Fully magnetic grille for premium look and feel with wood accents that give a handcrafted, natural aesthetic.
Specs:
Frequency Response 37Hz - 26kHz (+/- 3dB)
Sensitivity 90dB (2.83V @ 1m)
Power Handling 120W / 240W
Impedance 8 Ohm
High Frequency Driver 25mm (1”) Soft Dome Tweeter
Low Frequency Driver 3 x 127mm (5”) Polyfiber Woofers
Speaker Enclosure MDF
Enclosure Type Bass Reflex via Front Firing Slot Port
Inputs Single Binding Posts (Main / Height)
Finish Black, Walnut, White
Dimensions 1042mm x 191mm x 252mm 41“ x 7.52” x 9.9”
Features: Dolby Atmos Ready Connections Points, 3 Aluminized Polyfiber Woofers,1 Soft Dome Tweeter
Weight (Kg/lb) 30 lb (13.6 kg)

JBL Studio 570

Product Description​

Technologically advanced floorstanding loudspeaker.​

The JBL® Studio 570 floorstanding loudspeaker brings professional-quality sound to the home experience. The Studio 570 uses the technology that JBL engineers developed for pro-audio loudspeakers to deliver accurate and powerful sound to your living room. The Studio 570 floorstanding speaker is a perfect complement to other members of the Studio 5 Series, including the Studio 530 bookshelf and the Studio 520C center-channel loudspeakers.
TypeTwo-way dual-woofer, floorstanding
Low-Frequency TransducerTwo 5-1/14" (130mm) PolyPlas cones with Symmetrical Field Geometry magnet structures, cast frames and rubber surrounds, magnetically shielded
High-Frequncy Transducer1" (25mm) compression driver with neodymium magnet and one-piece Teonox diaphragm on a glass-filled ABS Bi-Radial horn, magnetically shielded, Connector TypeDual gold-plated binding posts (bi-wire capable)

Crossover Frequencies1.5kHz
Frequency Response 45Hz-40kHz-6dB
Sensitivity 88dB(2.83V@1m)
Impedance6 ohms
Width214mm8-7/16"
Height 896mm34-1/16"
Depth284mm11-3/16"
Weight15.6kg34.4lb

OP
R

RayD8r

So I rushed when ordering those JBL speakers and I am now seeing all kinds of options for dual 6.5" floor standers and as usual am kicking myself for not having some patience. I found the JBL Stage 180 series dual 6.5" for $239 each, Stage 170 @ $179 ea (same price I paid for the studio series) and Jamo Concert 9 series C 95 II @ $199 ea and the Klipsh Reference R-620F which would match the rest of my system perfectly @ $249 ea. Once again, my impatience has bitten me in the arse and my boss can't give me my bonus early so by the time I get it, these will all be back at full price and I know how returns work so I won't be able to get that money back until it's too late either. Grrrrr. Maybe one of these years I'll learn. It's ironic because I'm possibly the most patient person you could find when it comes to most things but when I'm shopping for something, especially if it's audio equipment or a tech toy I want and I have money burning a hole in my pocket, I blow it every time.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I recognize myself in what you say, BUT it is very possible that the speakers you have now ordered will suit you very well. They may suit your taste and liking for how you think it should sound, your room, the amplifier and so on.:)

You can always EQa if you feel like it and you have sub.

It probably gives more if you, in case you have not already done so, fix with the room acoustics.

Have confidence.

And if you buy some sensible CDs with good dynamic range and neat transistent peaks/punch , it will give more than whatever speakers you use (not really quite true but kind of, so to speak, close to the truth / reality). :)

OP
R

RayD8r

I am still keeping a positive outlook on the situation and it also only boils down to the fact that I'm kinda just being a miser because I have something wrong with my car and don't want to spend too much on my speakers until I get that straightened out and that's really only an issue because I don't feel like using public transportation and don't like being too broke. I could get another pair of the ones above and ride the bus until after the holiday when I could use my bonus check to fix the car.

Anyway, I'm going to wait and see what these JBLs sound like and I've also been listening to these Jamo S-809 towers by themselves and they sound pretty good. I have 2 - 12" Klipsch subs and I'm thinking that my issue is too much there. If I shut the Accu-Eq off and tone the subs down or even shut one of them off completely and just use more volume it might just solve my problem and then I could use the JBLs in my room. I just have a cheapo 2.1 mini amp that I got from Amazon as a kit that I had to assemble with an old pair of Onkyo main speakers and an 8" powered sub that went to an old 7.1 box store theater set that I got for free when I got the TX-SR 353 a few years ago. I took the back off the sub and disconnected the amp wires from the driver and drilled a hole in the rear panel to run the speaker wire from the mini amp to the woofer. The amp is 50w x 2 + 100w x 1 and it has Volume, Bass, Treble, and then Volume and frequency controls for the sub channel separetely. It puts out some nice clean power. I have a 12 - 24v power supply running it and it sounds its best taking the whole 24v, no noise that I can pick up and it drives the speakers pretty well. I haven't got it to full volume because there's an old crumb upstairs who hasn't even so much as opened the door to his apartment since COVID started and he complains to the manager if I get too loud unless it's old school blues, jazz, or Italian "cafe" music. I know him a little and I totally understand and try to be respectful. I have had it to about 2/3 volume though and it was actually quite loud enough and couldn't hear any audible distortion.

Top Bottom