• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great orchestral / symphonic organ music which challenges your hardware

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like this one

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Really? You hear no differences across the whole piece? If so, this is quite outside my experience with it.
Sorry, I have given too little information. It is especially the beginning of the following sequence I find pretty rough and unpleasant: (I can't express it better with my simplified English language skills)

20. Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 in C Minor, Op. 78 "Organ Symphony": II. (b) Maestoso. Allegro

But in the end, I don't particularly like this entire organ symphony - with all due respect to the composer.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Ah. That makes a difference.

Up until that point, I would not agree that "the organ is played virtually straightforward at full throttle" or "find this part rather flat and monotonous." I can understand feeling that way from that point on and, for me, it would depend on my mood.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Ah. That makes a difference.

Up until that point, I would not agree that "the organ is played virtually straightforward at full throttle" or "find this part rather flat and monotonous." I can understand feeling that way from that point on and, for me, it would depend on my mood.
Thank you for your understanding and I apologize again. When it comes to linguistic subtleties, I really struggle. I can use an automatic translation, but at least I understand enough English to realize that sometimes the meaning is completely distorted by it. I also admire English humor and think it's a shame I can't participate in it.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I like this one
Thank you for the example. I have listened to it in full length. :)

At the first glance, I find the piece imposing in its overwhelming sonority, and to that extent I think it fits very well as an example in the thread. Ultimately, however, it goes too much in the direction of light music for me personally, which is not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the example. I have listened to it in full length. :)

At the first glance, I find the piece imposing in its overwhelming sonority, and to that extent I think it fits very well as an example in the thread. Ultimately, however, it goes too much in the direction of light music for me personally, which is not my cup of tea.
Yes it is part of soundtrack, music for hire as it were, not a life's passion sort of thing. The movie is very good if you like SiFi.

BenjaminB

For me, one of the most important organists and organ composers of today is Dominik Susteck. (If you don't only want to hear the dusty classics).
I can only recommend to take a closer look at his work.

Thanks! My first find was the DS playing Wolfgang Rihm to his (WR) 60:th birthday - enjoyable! Will look for further works, also DS own compositions.
NB the web page you referred to is in german (only, I think), which suggest one explanation why DS is not so known outside Germany (I can read german, not write thank you, but how many can these days?). DS is worth a better fate ....

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! My first find was the DS playing Wolfgang Rihm to his (WR) 60:th birthday - enjoyable! Will look for further works, also DS own compositions.
NB the web page you referred to is in german (only, I think), which suggest one explanation why DS is not so known outside Germany (I can read german, not write thank you, but how many can these days?). DS is worth a better fate ....
I am another one that can speak (though grammatically incorrect, mostly understand spoken & mostly read German [the mostly part is because of many years having past since I last used it regularly when I was a translator for training American technicians for QC of Porsche vehicles at Porsche Cars North America in 1984]).
I was conceived in the City of Charleston, SC USA, born in Salzburg Austria, back to Charleston at 3 months, back to Salzburg a 2 (learned my first words there), back to Charleston before I was 3, back to Salzburg when I was 5, turned 6 there, back t Charleston when I was 6, etc. for a total of 9 trips.
My mother is from Salzburg & my father was 4th generation Charlestonian.
My mother (before she married my father, had spent a year in England perfecting her "Kings English) & I frequently spoke German (maybe 10-20% of the time). These days, she is 89 & I am 66.
Today she many times speaks German to me & 90% of the time I reply in English.

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
In fact, the distinctly international nature of ASR membership also exposes me to new influences. I got valuable tips on new names I didn't know about yet.
Because we now know software like https://www.deepl.com/ or Google, which translates all kinds of languages directly in the browser, this foreign information can also be easily accessed. In addition, there are the endless music libraries of streaming services where you can find almost anything to listen to immediately.

This is one thing that has developed very positively.

Top Bottom