• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great Editorial from Sound on Sound

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This editorial ran in the latest edition of Sound on Sound. SoS is a magazine more oriented to pro audio / recording and engineering of audio than to home users and listeners, but I think the underlying point of this piece is one well-taken:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/church-components

In general I think the pro audio world is more resistant to audiophile nonsense and bluster than the home audio world. Few studios stock "high-end" interconnects or expensive power cables, for example. But nonsense and woo sneak their way in in other ways, and it's great to see a mainstream publication call that stuff out and demand evidence to support some of the weirder and more fetishistic claims that get made in that world.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I'm sure that industry buys knockoff microphones to save a few bucks when "the specs are just as good"...

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I'm sure that industry buys knockoff microphones to save a few bucks when "the specs are just as good"...
Mics are like speakers, knock offs are never identical, and if they can afford it studios will buy a Neumann or AKG before a Chinese knock off. When engineers go into a studio to record the first thing they look at is the mic selection.

Top Bottom