• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great Album Covers

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1696729314548.jpeg

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Any of Ryoji Ikeda's covers (an example or four):

1000 fragments.jpg

Ryoji Ikeda.jpg

dataplex.jpg

supercodex.jpg

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Some more (non-abstract) monochromes (Poppy):

Am I a Girl_.jpg

I Disagree.jpg

Church Outfit - Single.jpg

... no cover text at all (because 'album' no longer means anything physical). Am I a Girl? I Disagree and Church Outfit (the latter actually a single).

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Some more minimalism (various artists):

Third.jpg

That's the Spirit.jpg

and the colour red (Rebūke Remix) - Single.jpg

Portishead, Bring Me The Horizon and Underworld.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
And some more portraits (various again):

Aventine (Deluxe Version).jpg

False Idols.jpg

Erika Jane - EP.jpg

Hopelessness.jpg

Salvador.jpg

inferno (Edit) - Single.jpg

Agnes Obel Aventine, Tricky False Idols, COUCOU CHLOE Erica Jane, Anohni Hopelessness, Sega Bodega Salvador and yuele Inferno. Oh that last one's a single, from the album Softscars, which has some cover art text (in Japanese I think):

softscars.jpg

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
no text at all (because 'album' no longer means anything physical).
I mentioned to an art dealer friend recently that despite lack of physical packaging need, musical artists still group songs into a collection still called an 'album,' and offer this to the public with accompanying art work. Graphic artists still have a piece of the initial release action, at least until AI obliterates the need... :cool:

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I mentioned to an art dealer friend recently that despite lack of physical packaging need, musical artists still group songs into a collection still called an 'album,' and offer this to the public with accompanying art work. Graphic artists still have a piece of the initial release action, at least until AI obliterates the need... :cool:

I don't mean to imply that a collection of songs released by an artist as an album on a streaming platform is not an album. It certainly is. Just that I didn't notice until now that so much 'album art' I like doesn't include text. Presumably because the art is displayed in a streaming music player with relevant text alongside as part of the software UI. Also presumably, these aren't the vinyl album covers (some of those albums would have appeared on vinyl, maybe with text in that case).

Emulator II

Reid Miles designed around 500 covers for Blue Note over the course of 15 years. Here are a few of them:

Freddie Hubbard - Hub-Tones
reid-miles-06.jpg

Larry Young - Unity
0602445797547.jpg

Donald Byrd - A New Perspective
reid-miles-09.jpg

Joe Henderson - In 'n Out
reid-miles-08.jpg

Jackie McLean - It's Time!
reid-miles-10.jpg

Dexter Gordon - Gettin' Around
reid-miles-22.jpg