• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Great Album Covers

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I was tempted to post the full artwork from Autopsy´s Act of the Unspeakeable, but this is a public forum and it may hurt some sensibilities. So in turn, we´ll go for some classic Gustav Doré:

a1761170081_10.jpg

Andretti60

Brief personal history of this cover (painted by Peter Schmidt).
At the beginning of the ‘80 I was in college, studying Computer Vision, I was a sort of a hacker spending my nights in the lab, learning my trade (I am still working in the same field) when we finally got a color workstation. This was one my favorite albums of that time, so I decided to make that my desktop background image, but because we didn’t have color cameras I decided to write a program to re-create the image artificially, based on gradients and shades (I wrote everything, there was no image processing applications at that time). I tested different algorithms to find out the best mathematical functions to create the gradients, even the shape of the island was mathematically computed. I was so pleased with myself that I decided to add some animation, adding glitter in the ocean and a flock of seagulls that were randomly crossing the image. It was everyone’s envy in the lab. I think the code is still there, in some half inch tape.

rgpit

Forum Donor

The Rolling Stones_Their Satanic Majesties Request Lenticular Vinyl Record Album​

iu

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Post in the Jazz Music thread. A 1998 release.

surprise.jpg

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Post in the Audiophile Americana thread. This album won the 2022 Grammy Award for Best Bluegrass Album.

mybluegrassheart.png

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
This was recently nominated for a 2023 Latin Grammy Award for Best Jazz Album, and generated 2 posts in the Jazz Music thread: Post 1 ; Post 2.

chicken.jpg

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Last edited:

DMill

1696611582152.jpeg

this was pretty controversial. Her first album after Lennons murder. And yes, those are supposedly his blood stained glasses.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
1696728759230.jpeg

This album has been kicking my ass since it came out November 2022, and I love the cover.

Last edited:
Top Bottom