• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

can a damaged cable cause a specific frequency distortion or is an overall distortion more likely ?

Chimiel

Hi,
I had problems in frequency response 5 kHz and up, sound was aggressive and harsh, when I connected my new RME ADI-2 to a spare booth output on my mixer (PlayDifferently Model 1.4)
After weeks of tweaking and different EQ curves on my RME ADI-2, tube amplifier plugins in my DAW and what not,
by accident I changed the output channel (from booth to master out) on my mixer + corresponding cables, everything sounded as it should be.
Finally audio bliss.
Booth sockets are TS and master sockets are XLR. I could buy new cables to find out myself, if the booth output channel or cables are faulty,
but I'm guessing the booth output channel is faulty / inferior to the master output.
Before spending any money, could anyone confirm that if cables are damaged, distortion should probably be heared at 20 Hz to 20 kHz and not only 5 kHz and up ?

Cheers Michiel

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which ADI-2 do you have?

Edit: how did you set the booth controls (manual page 7)? Level too high? EQ not flat?

OP
Chimiel

Chimiel

Which ADI-2 do you have?

Edit: how did you set the booth controls (manual page 7)? Level too high? EQ not flat?
Hi, ADI-2 Pro FS R, booth EQ was flat. it sounded more like distortion in upper range, then EQ settings; perfect for hearing loss. The ADI itself sounds sweet, very neutral and non wearisome, at all. Cheers

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, ADI-2 Pro FS R, booth EQ was flat. it sounded more like distortion in upper range, then EQ settings; perfect for hearing loss. The ADI itself sounds sweet, very neutral and non wearisome, at all. Cheers
Ok. Reduce the level of the booth output - does this reduce the distortion?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It's probably not the cables. Cables are usually "good or bad", or sometimes you get an intermittent connection when the cable is flexed or the connector is wiggled. A balanced (XLR or TRS) connection can be mis-wired, or one of the 3 wires/connections could be broken.

distortion should probably be heared at 20 Hz to 20 kHz and not only 5 kHz and up ?
You don't normally get "frequency effects" from a cable. Except, capacitance (which is proportional to length) can cause high-frequency roll-off with long guitar or phono cables because these connections are high impedance.

Booth sockets are TS and master sockets are XLR. I could buy new cables to find out myself, if the booth output channel or cables are faulty,
it's highly-unlikely that the left & right cables would have exactly the same defect.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Also doubt its the cables, and if its both channels I doubt somethings broken. Are you sure the booth outs are TS and not TRS? Does the distortion go away at low levels?

OP
Chimiel

Chimiel

Also doubt its the cables, and if its both channels I doubt somethings broken. Are you sure the booth outs are TS and not TRS? Does the distortion go away at low levels?
Hi, yes TS; mono (left) + mono (right)

OP
Chimiel

Chimiel

It's probably not the cables. Cables are usually "good or bad", or sometimes you get an intermittent connection when the cable is flexed or the connector is wiggled. A balanced (XLR or TRS) connection can be mis-wired, or one of the 3 wires/connections could be broken.

You don't normally get "frequency effects" from a cable. Except, capacitance (which is proportional to length) can cause high-frequency roll-off with long guitar or phono cables because these connections are high impedance.

it's highly-unlikely that the left & right cables would have exactly the same defect.
Thank you, that's what I thought, must be something else, strange

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hi,
I had problems in frequency response 5 kHz and up, sound was aggressive and harsh, when I connected my new RME ADI-2 to a spare booth output on my mixer (PlayDifferently Model 1.4)
After weeks of tweaking and different EQ curves on my RME ADI-2, tube amplifier plugins in my DAW and what not,
by accident I changed the output channel (from booth to master out) on my mixer + corresponding cables, everything sounded as it should be.
Finally audio bliss.
but I'm guessing the booth output channel is faulty / inferior to the master output.
Before spending any money, could anyone confirm that if cables are damaged, distortion should probably be heared at 20 Hz to 20 kHz and not only 5 kHz and up ?

Cheers Michiel
Can you just swap the cables you have to see if the problem follows the cable or stays with the same ADI-2 channel?

The only time I have heard strange noise and frequency response issues from a cable was when the ground was open, or one side of an XLR signal path was open.

Edit: If it is both channels, disconnect and reseat both cables at both ends (with everything off/muted), and if the problem persists then I agree with everyone it is likely not the cables.

OP
Chimiel

Chimiel

Can you just swap the cables you have to see if the problem follows the cable or stays with the same ADI-2 channel?

The only time I have heard strange noise and frequency response issues from a cable was when the ground was open, or one side of an XLR signal path was open.

Edit: If it is both channels, disconnect and reseat both cables at both ends (with everything off/muted), and if the problem persists then I agree with everyone it is likely not the cables.
Thank you, I’ll try that. Kind regards, Michiel

Top Bottom