• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Google Pixel 4a Smartphone Audio Review

flyzipper

Can anyone confirm if the system EQ is 5-band or 10?

No native EQ on my Pixel 4a, and the Adaptive Sound feature that dropped in the December 2020 update was only for Pixel 5 and Pixel 4A 5G.

You could look into something like Wavelet: Headphone specific equalization on Google Play.

chdloc

Can anyone confirm if the system EQ is 5-band or 10?
I haven't played around with Android phones in quite a while, but most Qualcomm-based phones with headphone jacks support five system-wide (native) biquads, that you can program freely [1], but only if the phone is rooted. Newer Qualcomm DACs, like the one in the Pixel 4a, may offer more biquads to play around with, but I would have to look at phone's configuration files and/or mixer to make sure.

[1] shameless plug referencing my old work

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't played around with Android phones in quite a while, but most Qualcomm-based phones with headphone jacks support five system-wide (native) biquads, that you can program freely [1], but only if the phone is rooted. Newer Qualcomm DACs, like the one in the Pixel 4a, may offer more biquads to play around with, but I would have to look at phone's configuration files and/or mixer to make sure.
That is unfortunate - I've been an Android user since 2009 and every Nexus (before they called it Pixel, and made by LG and Samsung) I had as well as the HTC's always had a 5-band EQ by default.

I use the 10-band EQ in Player Pro and it's great except it's limited to that app only.

chdloc

That is unfortunate - I've been an Android user since 2009 and every Nexus (before they called it Pixel, and made by LG and Samsung) I had as well as the HTC's always had a 5-band EQ by default.

I use the 10-band EQ in Player Pro and it's great except it's limited to that app only.

I had also used Nexus and Pixel devices exclusively prior to jumping ship to iPhone this year and I played around with the low-level Nexus/Pixel audio subsystem quite a bit. I have never seen system-wide biquad control with stock Android, hence my interest in developing biQuads referenced above. Are you sure you were not running custom firmware or something like viper4android?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had also used Nexus and Pixel devices exclusively prior to jumping ship to iPhone this year and I played around with the low-level Nexus/Pixel audio subsystem quite a bit. I have never seen system-wide biquad control with stock Android, hence my interest in developing biQuads referenced above. Are you sure you were not running custom firmware or something like viper4android?
Stock. I had a Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 5 that both had the 5-band EQ. I remember the black and blue of KitKat and later the white and orange of Google Play Music, which just uses the system EQ. Ironically I lost EQ functionality with my LG V30. That's puzzling.

The non-availability of a 10-band EQ would probably be the only thing stopping me from going with the Pixel 4a. Like I said I have one in Player Pro, but I also need to EQ for other things like Deezer.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No native EQ on my Pixel 4a, and the Adaptive Sound feature that dropped in the December 2020 update was only for Pixel 5 and Pixel 4A 5G.

You could look into something like Wavelet: Headphone specific equalization on Google Play.
Doesn't work on my LG V30 so I can't check it out - is there a list of devices and headphones it works with? Does it work with your Pixel 4a?

Edit – found headphone list: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results

I see they have the Periodic Audio Be that I'm eyeing with their current sales.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So with my V30 screen cracked and no EQ (I guess this was added to the V40), I'm looking at:

LG V40 (eBay)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (eBay)
Google Pixel 4a (new)

An odd comparison, but the Pixel wins on Android 11 software and updates for the next few years, while the others technically have better hardware.

Galaxy S10 has a 9-band EQ (huh?). The 32 Hz frequency is not available, while it is on the V40. What an odd omission. I may eliminate it just for that sin, though if using Wavelet and AutoEQ it might not matter. Slated to get Android 11 in 2021, but nothing after that.

V40 is the cheapest however this article states that many apps don't use the audio settings so I am hesitant to rely on it. Also the size is getting a bit large. Seems every generation grows larger but our hands and pockets stay the same. Will be lucky to even get Android 10.

There are always custom ROMs but these are always a work-in-progress. https://www.xda-developers.com/android-11-custom-rom-list/

Pixel 4a turns out is smaller than my current device and I feel is a step in the wrong direction size-wise...so V30 and S10 are in the Goldilocks zone.

It's all compromises.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
So with my V30 screen cracked and no EQ (I guess this was added to the V40), I'm looking at:

LG V40 (eBay)
Samsung Galaxy S10 (eBay)
Google Pixel 4a (new)

An odd comparison, but the Pixel wins on Android 11 software and updates for the next few years, while the others technically have better hardware.

Galaxy S10 has a 9-band EQ (huh?). The 32 Hz frequency is not available, while it is on the V40. What an odd omission. I may eliminate it just for that sin, though if using Wavelet and AutoEQ it might not matter. Slated to get Android 11 in 2021, but nothing after that.

V40 is the cheapest however this article states that many apps don't use the audio settings so I am hesitant to rely on it. Also the size is getting a bit large. Seems every generation grows larger but our hands and pockets stay the same. Will be lucky to even get Android 10.

There are always custom ROMs but these are always a work-in-progress. https://www.xda-developers.com/android-11-custom-rom-list/

Pixel 4a turns out is smaller than my current device and I feel is a step in the wrong direction size-wise...so V30 and S10 are in the Goldilocks zone.

It's all compromises.

I'd look at the Samsung Galaxy S10e - better battery life than the standard S10, and a flat rather than the stupid curved screen of the latter which distorts the edges of images and video, plus more manageable for one-handed use, all while being cheaper. (I'm assuming you're in the US so would get the Qualcomm Snapdragon version, the Exynos variants have a poorer performing audio chip). The V40's battery life is considerably worse than the Samsungs (and your current V30), as is the Pixel 4A's.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
10e is further behind, on Android 9. Of course it could be rooted to use a custom ROM, if that keeps it up to date and enables at least a 10-band EQ.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
10e is further behind, on Android 9. Of course it could be rooted to use a custom ROM, if that keeps it up to date and enables at least a 10-band EQ.

I have one and it's currently on Android 10, just like the others in the S10 series, and will get all the updates they will.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one and it's currently on Android 10, just like the others in the S10 series, and will get all the updates they will.
Thanks. Would probably still prefer pure Android though because I dislike Samsung's UI.

How do you EQ? Do you use the built-in 9-band EQ (seriously wtf) or do you use Wavelet or something else?

Last edited:

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My Pixel 4a definitely has lower output than my previous iPhone 6. Fortunately for me it still has plenty to push my Grados loud enough.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
Thanks. Would probably still prefer an AOSP though because I dislike Samsung's UI. How do you EQ? Do you use the built-in 9-band EQ (seriously wtf) or do you use Wavelet or something else?

For offline files I use the excellent Neutron Player which comes with a high quality, fully parametric equalizer with up to 60(!) bands, and for streaming services I do use the OS's 9-band graphic equalizer, but I've just got the Qudelix 5K, which has a parametric hardware equalizer, so I'll finally be able to have system-wide parametric EQ on Android. It also has optional Bluetooth connectivity (including LDAC), so I can turn any pair of wired headphones effectively into a 'wireless' (to source) pair.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I've been looking at the 4a and 10e and I have to say it's a tough decision. Why this matchup? Because the price of a new 4a and the eBay price of a 10e are very close, and these two devices are similar in size and other things.

I'll just list the pros of each.

Google Pixel 4a:
Runs pure Android (my preference) and gets updates much quicker and for longer
Has Pixel-only Android features
Headphone jack at the top with very good output quality (enough power for IEMs)
Better camera picture quality (nice to have, though not as high a priority for me as a Nikon Z shooter)
Light weight

Samsung Galaxy S10e:
Headphone jack at the bottom (better location for pocket use)
Faster processor (though this can cause more battery use)
Premium build (but you'll forget about the metal and glass once you put a case on it)
Better volume up/down button placement (left hand holds phone, right hand uses screen)
Better fingerprint sensor placement for activating on the desk
SD Card slot

If I got the Galaxy I would be tempted to root it and install a different OS. So that is some extra work but it has benefits. Though, even with a stock Android ROM, you won't get Pixel-only features.

As for the audio side of things...we know how the Pixel 4a performs. We don't know how the Galaxy S10e performs. If it's like other Galaxy S-phones, it will have good output but we haven't measured it.

flips712

Yeh I doubt anyone would build a DAC with headphone output and plan only 0.3 volts out.

Does the 1st gen original Pixel, which included a headphone jack have the same low volume issue when listening to music as the Pixel 4a? I stream music via the SoundCloud app. I typically use Sennheiser PMX 680 wired headphones. Will switching to Bluetooth headphones allow me to listen to music at a higher volume?

I desperately need a new phone but it needs to be a compact size, android, headphone jack, and have good volume output. I'm still using a 2013 Motorola Moto G because most phones today are too big for my liking. Any suggestions? Can the Samsung S10e US version be rooted? I hate the bloatware. Thanks.

flyzipper

I desperately need a new phone but it needs to be a compact size, android, headphone jack, and have good volume output.

My Pixel 4a has perfectly adequate volume level.
You could always try the 4a with your headphones; I doubt they're difficult to drive.

flips712

My Pixel 4a has perfectly adequate volume level.
You could always try the 4a with your headphones; I doubt they're difficult to drive.

Thanks. What headphones are you using and are they wired or BT? It looks like my wired headphones has a 32 impedance. Would that be low enough to play music at high volumes ya think? I listen to music (loudly) while running as I need all the motivation I can get. The original Pixel is also a possible option but I'm not sure if the volume output is similarly low like the 4a. Guess I'll just have to buy and try it to know for sure

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No native EQ on my Pixel 4a
Can you open YouTube Music and look in the settings for the equalizer? If it's there, you do have a native EQ as that just manipulates the system EQ.

I would use Wavelet anyway if it works with the 4a but just wanted to confirm that. Thanks.

flyzipper

Can you open YouTube Music and look in the settings for the equalizer? If it's there, you do have a native EQ as that just manipulates the system EQ.

I hadn't looked before, but...

Android 11 (Jan 5, 2021 Security update) > YouTube Music (4.07.51) > Settings > Equaliser...

Initially Equaliser was off, and when I turned it on (top right toggle), I could switch between FX Booster and User, BUT... everything below that remains greyed-out.

Looks like 3 bands of EQ (can only see 0 dB for each, but no frequency spec), a Bass Boost slider, and Surround Sound toggle.

... again, those options are greyed-out.

1609973636624.png

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty weak.

I have a 4a 5G coming (I wanted the bigger screen) and will test Wavelet among other things when it arrives. Not with YouTube Music, though.

Top Bottom