• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Google Chromecast Audio

Wombat

Master Contributor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on Amir. We could set you up with some really good long range wifi for the camper van (think Ubiquity). Then you can stream over your chrome-cast anywhere close to the campgrounds. :D

But if you don't test it we don't know if the fidelity meets your expectations. Which brings to mind when will we get a report on what kind of sound rig you have in that camper van?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The van audio sucks. It came with $5 speakers. I changed them to JBL speakers and that was a step up. But it still sucks. It is a $1,200 Kenwood unit running Android OS. Takes a minute to login into the stupid thing every time!

We have unlimited data on our cell service so I do stream Tidal and Amazon Prime on it.

Darwin

In the current Streaming Audio With Room Correction thread I suggested a the CA may be worth testing. Well, after Google searching I found such a test:

Part 1: http://archimago.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio.html

Part 2: http://archimago.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/measurements-google-chromecast-audio_27.html

Not too shabby for $35.

There is a lot of disagreement with archimagos “test”.
http://thehbproject.com/en/reviews/184/Google-Chromecast-Audio

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There is a lot of disagreement with archimagos “test”.
http://thehbproject.com/en/reviews/184/Google-Chromecast-Audio
I watch fair bit of Hans' videos. He is great in front of camera (in an odd way) and writes well. Alas, I don't trust anything he says about audio fidelity. He has sold his roots and his measurement instruments are now props in his videos. He is heavily influenced by the image of the product than any pretence to fidelity.

That said, given this I will go ahead and test mine and report back.

Darwin

There are quite a few others that are similar to Hans he is far from the only one who finds sound quality issues.
People want to believe they get something for next nothing with Chromecast.
They also seem to ignore that Google monitors what you do with their devices and sells that data to advertisers which is why their devices exist.
I'll look forward to your test but I have no faith in Archimago's. It is pretty obvious that he reaches his conclusions first them comes up with massaged data to support his conclusions. He also relishes reaching conclusions that are different from everyone else.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There are quite a few others that are similar to Hans he is far from the only one who finds sound quality issues.
They also seem to ignore that Google monitors what you do with their devices and sells that data to advertisers which is why their devices exist.
I'll look forward to your test but I have no faith in Archimago's. It is pretty obvious that he reaches his conclusions first them comes up with massaged data to support his conclusions. He also relishes reaching conclusions that are different from everyone else.

I have the upmost respect for Archimago, Hans on the other hand ...
Keith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I haven't used the latest version of the Chromecast, but for streaming video Roku and Fire are both better. Too many times the Chromecasting gives an inferior picture until you monkey with it in one way or another. The other two just connect and work.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

It seems far from obvious to me Archimago reaches his conclusions first. I have tested a few items he has and get close to identical results. His test results are not made up. So can you point to examples where Archimago reaches erroneous conclusions or decided something prior to testing it?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Last edited:
Top Bottom