• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Go with the flow?

JSmith

Master Contributor
The textual details;

I'm erring on the side of caution here... to the point the author may have lost it. This appears to imply information can be transmitted faster than light...

JSmith

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think we are in Ivor Catt territory so I will tread carefully. For someone like me with only basic maths and very little understanding of Poynting's theorem I can take a simplified view. We have two capacitors 150000km long; admittedly shorted at the far end. I can argue that is initially the capacitance that allows the light bulb to illuminate very quickly.

I'm not trying deny physics, I'm just taking a simplified view that is more helpful for day to day calculations. Rocket scientists get by using Newton's equations and very rarely resort to Einstein

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just watched that earlier and thought many could use it....

MCH

Major Contributor
Sure, but the guy avoids explaining the tricky part: what would happen if battery and bulb would be each at one of the far ends of the circuit? Or even simpler, what if battery and bulb are where they are but there is an interruptor an one of the ends?

Reactions: JRS

JSmith

Master Contributor
Actually it doesn't imply that since information is transmitted from the source to the bulb which is only 1m away.
But it seems assume that is instant when it is not?

JSmith

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sure, but the guy avoids explaining the tricky part: what would happen if battery and bulb would be each at one of the far ends of the circuit?
It will take a second or two for bulb to start glowing.

What Derek and his team are attempting do is define a topology that can only described by field theory. The trouble is I can claim it's the the two 150000 km capacitors, formed by the parallel wires, that allow build turn on almost instantly.

MCH

Major Contributor
It will take a second or two for bulb to start glowing.

What Derek and his team are attempting do is define a topology that can only described by field theory. The trouble is I can claim it's the the two 150000 km capacitors, formed by the parallel wires, that allow build turn on almost instantly.
Wikipedia has all the answers :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211121-083356_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211121-083356_Chrome.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 73

Ataraxia

The textual details;

I'm erring on the side of caution here... to the point the author may have lost it. This appears to imply information can be transmitted faster than light...

JSmith
Quantum entanglement implies instantaneous information transfer. I'm not saying this video uses that argument because I didn't watch it, and don't have much interest to.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Quantum entanglement implies instantaneous information transfer.
Yeah I know (that is amazing), however that is not what is being referenced here... and with that distance is irrelevant (so far). Also, no real information is being passed when the entangled particles affect each other.

JSmith

Ataraxia

Yeah I know (that is amazing), however that is not what is being referenced here... and with that distance is irrelevant (so far). Also, no real information is being passed when the entangled particles affect each other.

JSmith
I suspect we can define information states that equal the state of the entangled particles at each point in space to derive instantaneous information at both ends. We might also use multiple entangled particles in reference to each other and define information states by relative differences in the particles' states.

I'm unsure information is not being shared between the particles since I believe we cannot understand all information due to our limited human perception.

Mostly philosophical conjecture.

litemotiv

What kind of amuses me is that everyone (here and in the other thread) is arguing about the speed propagation question, which seemed only posed by Veritasium as a teaser/intro into the topic. The more interesting part to me and arguably perhaps for the audio hobby in general, is the main point of the video, that energy is not traveling through the wires but is a sum of the electromagnetic fields generated around the wires. That makes a pretty solid case for why cables in audio don't matter, as long as they are of a high enough quality to carry a current unimpeded over a distance of a few meters (which doesn't take much). :)

OP
Headchef

Headchef

What kind of amuses me is that everyone (here and in the other thread) is arguing about the speed propagation question, which seemed only posed by Veritasium as a teaser/intro into the topic. The more interesting part to me and arguably perhaps for the audio hobby in general, is the main point of the video, that energy is not traveling through the wires but is a sum of the electromagnetic fields generated around the wires. That makes a pretty solid case for why cables in audio don't matter, as long as they are of a high enough quality to carry a current unimpeded over a distance of a few meters (which doesn't take much). :)

almost, but then it could also suggest that “cable lifter” work :D

litemotiv

I just noticed that The Science Asylum (great channel too by the way) put out almost the exact same video as Veritasium in early 2019. And he actually explains it a little better too i think, so credit where credit is due:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we are in Ivor Catt territory so I will tread carefully. For someone like me with only basic maths and very little understanding of Poynting's theorem I can take a simplified view. We have two capacitors 150000km long; admittedly shorted at the far end. I can argue that is initially the capacitance that allows the light bulb to illuminate very quickly.

I'm not trying deny physics, I'm just taking a simplified view that is more helpful for day to day calculations. Rocket scientists get by using Newton's equations and very rarely resort to Einstein

Nice explanation describing the circuit as a capacitor, inductors and antennas here:

Top Bottom