• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gerontocracy constricts emergence of new paradigms

BostonJack

Editor
Hmmm. Saw this article. I think that the defunding of the Texas supercollider in '92 (I think) marked a departure from
US participation in Big Science... I wonder if there is a way to quantify the diversity of science papers, as described in the article.

There seems to be quite a bit of evidence that, in many ways, we are declining in the particular drive of American society.

Billionaires funding space exploration based on personal fantasies of "becoming an interplanetary species" or "a trillion people in space" seems as good an example of technological decadence as one could ask for.

Lots of interesting work in biology/life sciences but the narrowing of interests seems real.

Lots of people see science as an expensive luxury or a form of entertainment.

I'm buying this at least 50%.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
An article decrying the decline of original thought made up largely of citations of studies on the decline of original thought.

Yes, as a species we have achieved peak navel gazing.

Top Bottom