• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

General question about floors and speakers

Roland68

Major Contributor
As for turntables, concrete has a substantial advantage over suspended wood floors. But with the right isolation a well built suspended wood floor can be reduced to a non issue. As for room acoustics though, suspended wood floor is much better.
The concrete floor can also have the same advantage for speakers.
When it comes to room acoustics, the same applies to the hardness of materials as mentioned above. Wood can of course absorb much more sound energy than concrete, but a carpet can be very helpful.

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
£1000!? What are the dampers? Neoprene damped springs?
As best as I can tell. Yeah, they are pricey. Doesn’t help that they are imported from England. I tried cheaper methods. They didn’t get the job done.
The concrete floor can also have the same advantage for speakers.
When it comes to room acoustics, the same applies to the hardness of materials as mentioned above. Wood can of course absorb much more sound energy than concrete, but a carpet can be very helpful.
Unless carefully chosen and used with a pad specifically designed for wide band absorption, carpet on a concrete floor becomes a low pass filter EQ/ bass reflector. It isn’t just that wood absorbs more sound energy, it does so in the bass region where there is pretty much always not enough absorption.

There is no bigger acoustic nightmare than six parallel room boundaries made of concrete. Even one is an issue that has to be dealt with.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are contradictory opinions. LOL
My personal feelings, I believe the speaker should somehow be restricted from a fore-aft movement.
With heavy towers maybe not much of an issue but with lighter stand mounts, etc., Newtons third law states that for every action (force) in nature there is an equal and opposite reaction. As the speaker (woofer) cone moves forward and attempts to pressurize the room, it is also attempting to push the speaker backwards. Enough of this movement could modulate the FR and is not something to be desired. Opposing this undesirable movement can be controlled by weight (mass loading) or spikes, whatever.
Just my thoughts.
YMMV
Spikes/”coupling” does not work to reduce such movement. Instead movement is usually amplified in the bass region due to resonance. Soft feet are much better.

Top Bottom