• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Teardown (2nd Disassembled)

paudio

Interesting thread. The rough looking parts of the woofer cone also seem to be the area with the tightest radius. In my experience the tighter the radius the more likely you'll see imperfections when producing something. Likely this is cosmetic and only just the surface of the cone. As these drivers are hidden 100% of the time they probably allow for woofers with cosmetic (no change to function/measurements) imperfections to be used without issue.

I didn't read every reply but I did see at least one explanation from the manufacturer. I would agree that speaker cone shouldn't be flexing there and likely isn't.

Last edited:

Hmast

As said in the first thread, you should count the completely custom drivers made either by them (I think) or by OEMs in very small quantities. And the R&D made in Finland for the complete speaker and software (firmware and GLM).
Personally, I think that Genelec's speakers are very good value, everything considered. Their subs, on the other hand...

What's the resulting difference?

I don't know, WIMA and Rubycon caps makes me say "no obvious corner cutting".
What's wrong with Genelec subs? I'm planning to buy a 7360A along with a pair of 8351B for a small dedicated room.

I have a B&W DB1D in my living room which I find quite good but for the dedicated home studio room I don't see any other sub better than the Genelec's to go along with their SAM speakers. Integration will be near perfect. Do you mean for the price you can find better ? Or do you mean it is just not good?

Trell

Major Contributor
What's wrong with Genelec subs? I'm planning to buy a 7360A along with a pair of 8351B for a small dedicated room.

I have a B&W DB1D in my living room which I find quite good but for the dedicated home studio room I don't see any other sub better than the Genelec's to go along with their SAM speakers. Integration will be near perfect. Do you mean for the price you can find better ? Or do you mean it is just not good?

Nothing wrong with the Genelec subwoofers but they are expensive compared to the performance. I've the 7360A myself for a pair of 8330A and it works just fine in my small room, of course using GLM as well.

Descartes

Major Contributor
They should never be placed directly on their bottom (It isn't possible either, they will roll over :)). They are either with their included isopods or with the unique Genelec stands, which can be mounted to the back. This is how I have set them up. The center speaker stands on its isopod stand, the sides mounted with Genelec wall mounts, and the fronts on the Genelec stands.
What stands are these?

Karu

Forum Donor

My understanding is you should go at least to 7370 if not 7380 for a better fit with the 51s. If you want to stay with Genelec subs.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is you should go at least to 7370 if not 7380 for a better fit with the 51s. If you want to stay with Genelec subs.
It depends. I use a 7060b together with 2 K&H O300D (similar in SPL and FR as 8050) as 2.1 in a 50 sqm room with 3.8 m listening distance. Before I bought the sub I asked the Genelec support and they said that I could use this combo if I don't run it at max SPL, and it would not be suitable for 5.1. The only time I noticed a limitation of the sub was with some very bass heavy EDM at high SPL during a test of deepest bass - but then also things began to rattle in the room. So for my situation and expectations the 7060b is sufficient.

Hmast

I get your point but:

1) my room is 12m2 (small) and I think a 7360 is enough + the 7370 is HUGE and in such a small room quite difficult to place.

2) if I ever move to a bigger room I guess I can still buy a second 7360 later and it will add +3db and help with correcting the acoustic in the bass at the same time with 2 different bass locations. 7360 and 7370 appear to go as low, it just seems to be a matter of SPL if I read the measurements well.

Am I going the wrong way?

Karu

Forum Donor
I also agree that for this room, it will be fine.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
really don't understand whether the more than 100 replies have even a little basic knowledge of physics. This is obviously a design defect of the speaker. The power of the speaker is transmitted to the rubber side through the middle circle, but genele's engineers don't know For what reason, I made a crease on the long side, which caused the power to be transmitted to the rubber side, and a large part was absorbed by the crease of the paper cone. Repeated folding caused cracks, and damage after long-term use at high volume is an inevitable result. (There will be no such problem if the circular horn is evenly stressed.) The problem lies in the serious flaw in the hem design of the paper cone. Genele, please face this problem directly, otherwise there will be endless troubles in the future!
Do you have any proof that these things break on a regular basis? So far we haven't seen any indications that this actually happens, and these products are already quite a few years old by now.

zhaowo

Do you have any proof that these things break on a regular basis? So far we haven't seen any indications that this actually happens, and these products are already quite a few years old by now.
Are a few years a long time for speakers?
As long as the crease is not completely broken, air leakage will not cause a big change in the sound.
Because you can’t see the problem with the speaker inside, does the problem not exist?

zhaowo

View attachment 166067

I mean this can’t be having holes in the original image or in real product, you can see the same artefacts here in the surrounds which is perfectly normal in original photo. These are just sharpening together with contrast enhance in the shadows making it looking like holes.
View attachment 166068

And unfortunately I doubt Genelec will send a guy, go to the production line and take some close up shot for you to proof. Firstly no company will just keep spending ppl to proof something on internet. And i can imagine if they show that here, next question is accusing them of hand picking the problematic or failed batch out to take the photo just to cover up…

So here is the end of my PERSONAL opinion, when you’re in doubt, just skip it and let those who enjoys it enjoy
I really don't understand if these more than 100 replies don't even have a little basic knowledge of physics.
This is clearly a design flaw in the speaker. The power of the speaker is transmitted to the rubber side through the middle voice coil, and the paper cone vibrates to produce sound.
But for some unknown reason, Zhenle’s engineers made creases on the long side, and most of the power transmitted to the rubber side was absorbed by the creases on the long side.
Wrong design will cause the folded edge of the paper cone to act as a rubber edge and deform, causing cracks due to repeated folding. Damage is an inevitable result after long-term and large-capacity use. (If the round speaker is evenly stressed, this problem will not occur.)
The problem lies in the serious flaw in the folding design of the paper cone. Genele, please face this problem directly, otherwise there will be endless troubles in the future!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are a few years a long time for speakers?
I didn't say that...
As long as the crease is not completely broken, air leakage will not cause a big change in the sound.
Because you can’t see the problem with the speaker inside, does the problem not exist?
I didn't say that either, but if it were really that big of a deal, I would expect that by now, we would know. These things are in use in studios all over the world, running basically full-time. The 8331A is now 10 years old and has a similar racetrack woofer. So where are all the people complaining about the things going to shit?

zhaowo

I didn't say that...

I didn't say that either, but if it were really that big of a deal, I would expect that by now, we would know. These things are in use in studios all over the world, running basically full-time. The 8331A is now 10 years old and has a similar racetrack woofer. So where are all the people complaining about the things going to shit?
8031 is a round speaker. As I said before, this problem does not exist because the round speaker is evenly stressed. We don’t want the speaker to leak after the 5-year warranty, right?

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
8331 is a round speaker.
Is it?
1693575983372.png

zhaowo

I didn't say that...

In fact, Genelec engineers can correct this problem by simply removing the long edge and connecting the paper cone directly to the rubber edge.

Top Bottom