• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Teardown (2nd Disassembled)

dfuller

Major Contributor
And how did it end the first time?
By Genelec saying that they look like that coming off the line, and it isn't something to be concerned about.

dfuller

Major Contributor
As someone with pretty severe OCD and perfectionism; not a good look at all! That's just my take.
Genelecs have a longstanding rep for being ridiculously tough. It's not something worth worrying about. Also:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I'm a Genelec fan, but I can't say it doesn't concern me at all, on the other I trust Genelec, I just wish it looked smoother;)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How is this topic not dead yet? Can people stop weirdly obsessing about how a hidden internal component(one which they don't even understand) looks? Sometimes audiophiles really do live up to all the stereotypes...

auraluxstudio

How is this topic not dead yet? Can people stop weirdly obsessing about how a hidden internal component(one which they don't even understand) looks? Sometimes audiophiles really do live up to all the stereotypes...
Which is cool, cause I am not an audiophile at all. I am an engineer and producer. LOL

@dfuller thank you for the link to the thread discussing this!!!

G|force

Forum Donor
Which is cool, cause I am not an audiophile at all. I am an engineer and producer. LOL

I'm a producer too, trying to get more fiber in my diet.
All of the people using and loving our Ones with their ears are wrong, your eyes are right. You won. Take yes for an answer.

auraluxstudio

I'm a producer too, trying to get more fiber in my diet.
All of the people using and loving our Ones with their ears are wrong, your eyes are right. You won. Take yes for an answer.
I take it english isn’t your first language. Was that supposed to be funny or snarky? Not sure because neither are appropriate responses to my genuine comment. I wasn’t trying to ‘win’ anything, keyboard warrior.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Can't be too old. Even with age I wouldn't think that should occur? Just looks like poor fit and finish to me sadly.
You're absolutely right, it's unacceptable and it's no surprise that no one here noticed this obvious non-quality.
in the audiophile world, non-quality is very well accepted, something incomprehensible to me
On GS, ATC is god. On ASR Genelec is God. Genelec or Berhinger business is business: cost reduction, value analysis and margin, margin....margin.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Function over form: if it sounds good AND measures well, what's not to like?
Perfect example of the audiophile who finds normal a non quality on a high end product.
When I buy a luxury product, I demand the perfection.

You not buy an anorak with faded colors that do not change the thermal quality?

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Perfect example of the audiophile who finds normal a non quality on a high end product.

I disagree. That is not an apt comparison. You are complaining about an issue which is visible only when the speaker is disassembled or looked at from a very unusual angle but which the company insists is expected and will not affect the sound or reliability, on an internal part that cannot be seen during normal operation. If we had other engineers on here providing evidence that Genelec was incorrect, such as with the grounding issue on the Carver amp thread, then I would fully agree, but we don't.

This also not a luxury product--it is a tool for sound engineers that some audio enthusiasts choose to use in other settings. If I bought a really expensive table saw, and found machining marks on the inside of the guard when I removed the blade, I would not complain that the company had not bothered to polish them out.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

English is not my first language, so I had to look up anorak. A person (like me) who lives in a place that doesn't go below 73 F (22.77 C) has no need to know this word. However, if the anorak I chose to use if I were in a cold place looked OK visually & did it's function of keeping me warm OK, I wouldn't be checking the threads in between the inside & outside of an anorak for color integrity. The same with a speaker, if the outside was visibly damaged (discoloration, mar, ding, etc then there is a problem that would require a fix. But if it looks good & performs good, I am not in the habit of taking speakers apart to see if anything is wrong when it works fine. Now, if it is out of warranty I may take it apart just to look inside or to modify it. But if it is functioning fine & there are no external signs of an issue and it does what it is supposed to (meeting it's manufacturers specs) no, I am not taking it apart just to look. I do take many things apart that are in warranty (car engines, transmissions & the like) because I am going to modify them for durability, more RPM, more power, better fuel economy, better emissions (yes, if the customer wants to spend the money they can have all five of these better) and more. But not just to check the fit of things. Unless something is going wrong & the reason that it is going wrong is not obvious.
I also don't find a Genelec to be a luxury product. It is a studio monitor (admittedly a damn good one). But there is nothing luxury about it.
Perhaps you are only being facetious:
the only word in the English language that uses all of the vowels in the correct order.

Last edited:

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't know that! Cool.
During my high school days (50 or so years ago) I had a teacher whom occasionally used that word, so I knew what it meant. I had never written facetious myself until last night. I realized after I typed it that the vowels were in order & did some checking (because I thought that I might have misspelled it). My spelling was correct. That the vowels are in order & it is the ONLY word (that I know of) in the English language that has that feature is what the consensus is. Very odd but cool.
Another odd thing is mom, pop, dad are single syllable words that spell the same forward as backward. So does the 2 syllable word: racecar. Or, if you prefer, the 2 word series: race car. There are others that do that but not many (especially 2 syllable words).

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor

if it's exterior I would say it is worth returning, but the interior middle wool inside is spotless or not? as long as it don't stink or affect functionality or just degrades faster, who cares about that!

if it stays that way for 10+ years without obvious deterioration I say just take it, if it just tears off and break the speaker (will be very obvious), then Genelec will be feeling worse than you do, coz they will have a lot to fix for their lineup

Reactions: EJ3

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have, many times, but still didn't know. My mom used it frequently.
Knowing what it meant, I have used it a number of times in talking. But had never written it down before. The act of writing it made me realize that the vowel arrangement seemed odd. But, in this case: apparently there is no other word (that I know of) in the English language that has the vowels in the correct sequence. If that is true, then the word facetious is, in fact, unique. (a much over used word that means that there is only one of whatever it is referencing. Many seem to think that a series of identical somethings are unique. They are not, because there is more than 1 identical thing: that creates a series of them)

Last edited:
Top Bottom