• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fun Generation UA-202 a DAC, ADC, USB to SPDIF elec and phono preamp for 20€

It seems it is hard to find bad DACs these days... For adding a SPDIF out to my work PC I have bought a Fun Generation UA-202 (Buy here). Only after purchasing it, I have found out that it is also a DAC, ADC and phono preamp.

UA202.jpg

So, in order to find out how good (or bad) it is, I have made some measurements:
dash_ua202.JPG

Dynamic Range:
Dynamic Range - AES17.jpg

ENOB:
ENOB.jpg

Multitone Spectrum:
FFT Spectrum Multitone.JPG

FFT:
FFT WN 20k+.jpg

Jitter Spectrum:

Jitter.jpg

Frequency response (seems more spectecular than it is):
RMS Level.jpg

SMPTE Ratio:

SMPTE Ratio.jpg

THD is general not good, but over frequency there are no surprises:
THD Ratio.jpg

Conclusion: Despite the fact that the DAC is 16 Bit only (but it seems to accept higher bitrate streams with 24 Bit and 192kHz just fine) it is a competent design without big flaws, but the performance is not really on 2021 level. For a few Euros more, you get way more performance.

SPDIF output works fine. I did not have time to test the Phono in and ADC. Since it is class compliant, it works well with iPadOS, PC and Macs driverless. The sound of the DAC is somewhat clouded and not really upfront. Do I recommend to buy it as a DAC: No.

Attachments

• ENOB.jpg
    ENOB.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
I have read somewhere this is a rebranded Behringer UFO202, brother of the almost mythical Behringer UCA202, still alive and kicking after, don't know, 15 years?
There is plenty of info around, what I could not find is measurements of the phone stage. Would you be able to measure that?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I have read somewhere this is a rebranded Behringer UFO202, brother of the almost mythical Behringer UCA202, still alive and kicking after, don't know, 15 years?
There is plenty of info around, what I could not find is measurements of the phone stage. Would you be able to measure that?
The internal pics show it's a different pcb to the Behringer, but it uses an apparently genuine TI PCM2902C like the older Behringers rather than the lower performing clone in the more recent ones. It's also using transformer isolated coax for the spdif rather than the toslink on the UCA202.

Reactions: MCH

Trell

Major Contributor
The price is very low: 20 Euro. That includes a 19% valued added tax.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Conclusion: Despite the fact that the DAC is 16 Bit only (but it seems to accept higher bitrate streams with 24 Bit and 192kHz just fine)
I think you may have been fooled by the OS audio stack there - the PCM2902 datasheet states in no uncertain terms:
The following data formats are accepted by the S/PDIF input and output. All other data formats are unable to use S/PDIF.
• 48-kHz 16-bit stereo
• 44.1-kHz 16-bit stereo
• 32-kHz 16-bit stereo
Mismatch between input data format and host command may cause unexpected results except in the following conditions.
• Record monaural format from stereo data input at the same data rate
• Record 8-bit format from 16-bit data input at the same data rate
A combination between the above conditions is not accepted.
For the playback, all possible data rate source is converted to 16-bit stereo format at the same source data rate.
Check the output formats actually selectable for the corresponding sound device (most easily accessed in Windows 10 by opening the system sounds dialog and choosing the Playback Devices tab, then opening the respective properties dialog).

I am pretty sure that you need something more fancy for 24-bit capable SPDIF out. You might try the CM6533 based DeLOCK 63926, which is 24/96 capable and supports DD & DTS passthrough as well (mind you, I am sure the analog I/O is going to be finest CMedia quality). That one has a 3.5 mm jack with built-in Toslink transmitter (like older Macbooks) so you'll need a corresponding adapter cable. There's also the more expensive InLine USB HD Audio Adapter (33053I) which provides optical, coaxial and even I2S output up to 24/96. Or perhaps an Asus Xonar U5 or U7 (coaxial up to 24/192).

it is a competent design without big flaws, but the performance is not really on 2021 level. For a few Euros more, you get way more performance.
Given the price and the feature set this thing is totally OK. For something similar but better you pretty much have to spend 3 times as much.

I have never tested a phono stage. I will try.
Perhaps start with line-in mode first. You can look at the results that @Julian Krause got for the M-Audio M-Track series and Behringer UMC22 as a reference... dynamic range should be in the mid-high 80s, distortion might even approximately meet datasheet specs since line-in mode may have the chip's input wired more or less directly to the input jacks.

OP
P
So, i hooked up the phono stage... Since I am unexperienced with phono stages, I cannot guarantee, that the values make sense. Channel 2 was not connected.
das_phono_in.JPG
Dynamic range.JPG
RIAA Implementation.JPG

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
That looks awfully noisy, so I'd suggest looking for the output attenuator settings in the AP... I bet things are dominated by ouput noise. Something this bad would be unusable.

Also, I would have started with line-in rather than phono mode, less to go wrong. For phono you ideally want a precise inverse RIAA either as a passive attenuator network or done in software.

Top Bottom