• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Front ported vs rear ported studio monitors

PingWine

Is there anything I need to consider? Is one better than the other? In what circumstances?

OP
PingWine

PingWine

Front pros: can be stuck to the wall
Front cons: leakage and turbulences are more audible, possible cancellation if leakage, less space on the front of the speaker meaning possible compromise somewhere

Invert and negate for back ports.

I wonder whether KH 80's have the same farting port noises as my HS5's do. I mean at least they'd feel like home. :p

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I wonder whether KH 80's have the same farting port noises as my HS5's do. I mean at least they'd feel like home. :p
I trust Neumann to not botch this. Incidentally, I consider that one of the most guarded secrets of audiophilia is that sealed isn't inherently better than ported, but that good ports are very hard to design.
Sealed is possibly better than ported in subwoofers where the distorsion rise isn't audible.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Front pros: can be stuck to the wall
Front cons: leakage and turbulences are more audible, possible cancellation if leakage, less space on the front of the speaker meaning possible compromise somewhere

Invert and negate for back ports.
/thread
Succinct.

Top Bottom