• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Frankstein full-range drivers speakers - what have I created? Why does it seem to work?

I got two Alpair 10p full-range drivers and plugged them into the woofer holes of old speaker boxes I took apart. I took the old tweeters out and left a big hole in the box. I also took out the bass port tubes and plugged up the back hole. So now the tweeter hole in the front is like a bass port? I thought these couldn't possibly sound good like this and put them in storage for a while. I just pulled them out and plugged them into an old Denon receiver and was pleasantly surprised by the sound. How is it possible this sounds half-decent?

IMG_4494.jpg

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got two Alpair 10p full-range drivers and plugged them into the woofer holes of old speaker boxes I took apart. I took the old tweeters out and left a big hole in the box. I also took out the bass port tubes and plugged up the back hole. So now the tweeter hole in the front is like a bass port? I thought these couldn't possibly sound good like this and put them in storage for a while. I just pulled them out and plugged them into an old Denon receiver and was pleasantly surprised by the sound. How is it possible this sounds half-decent?

View attachment 364289
These remind me of my first DIY speakers from a few years back (pre-ASR). After a few failed attempts at building a transmission line cabinet, I got fed up and just threw my Tang Band W8-1772 full-range drivers in a pair of car subwoofer tubes. The on-axis listening experience was shockingly good (at least to my ears, never measured them), but the sweet spot was super narrow. I liked to call them my "heretics."

How do they sound off-axis?
index.php

OP
olds1959special
These remind me of my first DIY speakers from a few years back (pre-ASR). After a few failed attempts at building a transmission line cabinet, I got fed up and just threw my Tang Band W8-1772 full-range drivers in a pair of car subwoofer tubes. The on-axis listening experience was shockingly good (at least to my ears, never measured them), but the sweet spot was super narrow. I liked to call them my "heretics."

How do they sound off-axis?
index.php

Mine sound better on-axis too. I tried blocking the front holes and then I could hear the random boxy resonances the ports were adding. They still sound okay with the holes open, I just doubt the bass response is very flat.

Last edited:

312elements

Mine sound better on-axis too. I tried blocking the front holes and then I could hear the random boxy resonances the ports were adding. They still sound okay with the holes open, I just doubt the bass response is very flat.
The bass response is probably decently flat with the hole plugged, just anemic. F3 around 100hz in that box.

312elements

Those drivers have a wide almost 10db peak around 9000hz if I recall but flatten out nicely at about 15 degrees off axis so if it starts to feel bright turn them out into the room a little.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

View attachment 364289

That hole in the box add some upper bass. This could work to give some bass shy 4 inch to have a little more umpff. Close it upper bass should get less.

Top Bottom