• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For headphones, is it better or worse to EQ for each channel?

tomtrp

We have L&R measurement data from Amir and I am wondering is it better to develop two PEQ filters based on each channel? Are there any advantages or disadvantages of EQing each channel to target using L&R data respectively? OR is it just unnecessary?
Thank you for answering my questions! This has bothered me a lot.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That would only be needed if you can accurately measure your own headphone.
Channel imbalances of a similar model measured by someone else says nothing about channel imbalance for your headphone.

When you have an audible imbalance in your ear (which some people are bothered with) it makes sense to compensate for that (when possible)

GaryH

Major Contributor
We have L&R measurement data from Amir and I am wondering is it better to develop two PEQ filters based on each channel? Are there any advantages or disadvantages of EQing each channel to target using L&R data respectively? OR is it just unnecessary?
Thank you for answering my questions! This has bothered me a lot.

The left and right channel of your unit are very unlikely to show the same differences as that of another unit, so you should just use an average of the two channels for PEQ. Better still, an average of measurements taken at slightly varying positions on the rig to mirror positional variation on your head. Better still, an average of several units to account for unit variation. All of which Oratory's measurements achieve.

OP
T

tomtrp

That would only be needed if you can accurately measure your own headphone.
Channel imbalances of a similar model measured by someone else says nothing about channel imbalance for your headphone.

When you have an audible imbalance in your ear (which some people are bothered with) it makes sense to compensate for that (when possible)
True. Thank you!!!

OP
T

tomtrp

The left and right channel of your unit are very unlikely to show the same differences as that of another unit, so you should just use an average of the two channels for PEQ. Better still, an average of measurements taken at slightly varying positions on the rig to mirror positional variation on your head. Better still, an average of several units to account for unit variation. All of which Oratory's measurements achieve.
Thanks!

Top Bottom