• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

For desktop audio, is there any real benefit to going beyond mini-D amplifiers?

elshaddai

I'm talking about bookshelf and smaller speakers that are at most 3-4 feet away from your listening position. 60-70dB is typical, maybe +10-20 if you want to go crazy. If I understand the general math correctly, we're talking about just a few watts of power. So, is there any realistic difference between a mini D, premium D (hypex, purifi, etc) and AB amplifiers in that context?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amp class if executed decently will make no difference IMHO. You can imagine it easily enough, tho. At low power needs why even worry about it?

OP
elshaddai

elshaddai

Amp class if executed decently will make no difference IMHO. You can imagine it easily enough, tho. At low power needs why even worry about it?
Lol, FOMO? I'm going to be happy with my little RSL and stop reading reviews and eBay listings...

JSmith

Master Contributor
So, is there any realistic difference between a mini D, premium D (hypex, purifi, etc) and AB amplifiers in that context?
Yeah, not much point comparing amp classes only like that... compare the measurements for each amp regardless. Look at metrics with reference to the low power requirements.

JSmith

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The one impetus to upgrade from cheap / small Class D amps would be to avoid load dependency. Other than that, if you have the SINAD and power you want, not much reason to keep looking.

Top Bottom