• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First turntable - any suggestions?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you're giving away hi-fi potential. Unless you tackle the problem shown in the video I linked to above.
Did you measure it before concluding that ithe LP120’s internal preamplifier was junk? Don’t forget that you’ve also added a lot of load capacitance: Around 350 pF with preamp removed, versus <100 pF with internal preamp in use. With Ortofon 2M Red installed, the added capacitance creates a peak in the high frequency response, whereas I found it decently flat with built-in preamp engaged.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Did you measure it before concluding that ithe LP120’s internal preamplifier was junk?
No, I tried the turntable and the sound was dull. Then I tried to find out what it was. I had other turntables with the same pickup to compare. Also had several good phono-preamps at hand etc. After the modification the sound was more clear and transparent. For me it made a big difference. This was my own observation, before I found other colleagues on the Internet that pointed also to this.

But it's not that important for me, I just wanted to mention it. I would not recommend the AT 120 LP and I think that was the question here in the thread.

EDIT: If you are happy with the sound quality of the internal preamp, then this is another situation. This was not the case with me. I wanted to use better ones.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When the budget is 500 euros, a built-in phono and an included cartridge are a great deal. Best to have the phono able to be bypassed and the cartridge to be readily upgradable.

@Biblob - were you also able to investigate the Pioneer PLX-500? I would be interested to know if it appeals to you.

Last edited:

Timmeon

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you'd like this project I picked up ~6 years ago.

View attachment 279810
View attachment 279809
View attachment 279808
The complexity and the shear number of “bits” to these idler turntables is a turnoff for me.

I had an idler driven Garrard changer I inherited that I could never bring back to spec, largely due to its mechanical complexity. I’d have to be a watchmaker to completely tear down and rebuild it.

So, my first turntable purchase was a VPI Traveler - a model of simplicity. One power switch controlling a 120v AC synchronous motor and a two-tiered pulley for platter speed control. A manual tonearm with a sapphire-contact gimbal bearing; no roller bearings.

It just doesn’t get any more straightforward than that.

1682335693948.jpeg

1682336135275.jpeg

OP
Biblob

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When the budget is 500 euros, a built-in phono and an included cartridge are a great deal. Best to have the phono able to be bypassed and the cartridge to be readily upgradable.

@Biblob - were you also able to investigate the Pioneer PLX-500? I would be interested to know if it appeals to you.
I have checked it out just now, looks like it's a fairly popular one too. New already in budget at around €350. And when looking to buy secondhand, it's even cheaper.

Any benefits (or downsiders) from this one compared to the At AT-LP5?

JP

Major Contributor
The complexity and the shear number of “bits” to these idler turntables is a turnoff for me.

I had an idler driven Garrard changer I inherited that I could never bring back to spec, largely due to its mechanical complexity. I’d have to be a watchmaker to completely tear down and rebuild it.

So, my first turntable purchase was a VPI Traveler - a model of simplicity. One power switch controlling a 120v AC synchronous motor and a two-tiered pulley for platter speed control. A manual tonearm with a sapphire-contact gimbal bearing; no roller bearings.

It just doesn’t get any more straightforward than that.

View attachment 281152
View attachment 281155

I don’t intend the Thorens to be a player, just a novelty piece that’d be fun to play with now and again. I bought it from HiFiDo junk shop and luckily it is complete. Over the years I’ve secured all the spare parts I need for it.

Now refurbished I fully expect my DDs to go another 40 years with the only maintenance being a couple drops of oil every year or so. I can’t to belts.

mike70

I don’t intend the Thorens to be a player, just a novelty piece that’d be fun to play with now and again. I bought it from HiFiDo junk shop and luckily it is complete. Over the years I’ve secured all the spare parts I need for it.

Now refurbished I fully expect my DDs to go another 40 years with the only maintenance being a couple drops of oil every year or so. I can’t to belts.

If it's a Technics vintage DD ... they need to add 2 drops of oil every 2k hours ... generally every 2-3 years.

The brand new ones are self lubricant, they doesn't need anything.

JP

Major Contributor
More like not serviceable.

JP

Major Contributor
I doubt the mk7 won't have parts and service in the future.
The bearing is not serviceable, as in not self-lubricating. No different than other non-serviceable/maintenance free bearing from back in the day. They expect the factory lubrication to outlast the ‘table.

mike70

The bearing is not serviceable, as in not self-lubricating. No different than other non-serviceable/maintenance free bearing from back in the day. They expect the factory lubrication to outlast the ‘table.

You can change the tonearm easily

JP

Major Contributor
You can change the tonearm easily

What in the world are you talking about? The topic is platter bearings, not tonearms.

mike70

What in the world are you talking about? The topic is platter bearings, not tonearms.

Ok, tonearm have bearings as well and I thought you was talking about it ... reading topics and working is a bad habit:)

JP

Major Contributor
The vast majority of tonearm bearings aren't lubricated.

mike70

The vast majority of tonearm bearings aren't lubricated.

Yes, I talked about the platter bearings to be oiled and after that I get lost. Simple.

Timmeon

@computer-audiophile Got a Pro-Ject Classic on its way. A risky buy for sure, the seller seemed like a bit of a dingbat who barely seemed to comprehend my questions but otherwise had good ratings. His photos were terrible but it looks unused. Perhaps this is how you grab a decent discount, $400 + shipping. Fingers crossed.

Any recommendations for a cart? Going to need a preamp as well. Curious how much thought needs to go into pairing the cart and preamp. How is Sumiko?

@Biblob Apologies for hijacking your thread! Any progress on your end?

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
@computer-audiophile Got a Pro-Ject Classic on its way. A risky buy for sure, the seller seemed like a bit of a dingbat who barely seemed to comprehend my questions but otherwise had good ratings. His photos were terrible but it looks unused. Perhaps this is how you grab a decent discount, $400 + shipping. Fingers crossed.

Any recommendations for a cart? Going to need a preamp as well. Curious how much thought needs to go into pairing the cart and preamp. How is Sumiko?

@Biblob Apologies for hijacking your thread! Any progress on your end?
Good luck!
My 'The Classic' had the Ortofon 2M Silver, which made a good combination imo. After many years of MC cartridges, special stepup-transformers, phonostages etc. I made my life easier using only MM Cartridges now.

Top Bottom