• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First timer looking for advice

e to the ric

Hey, I'm looking for a pair of desktop speakers for small room use and was thinking doing a kit would be fun. I'm currently looking at this kit for $300 - https://www.parts-express.com/Coppe...esktop-Speaker-System-Kit-300-7182?quantity=1.

A couple questions
  1. wondering about the sound quality, I was also thinking of just getting a pair of 306P MkII ($340) and was curious to know how comparable it is.
  2. I have a drill, hot glue gun, and a soldering iron. any other tools I would need for a build like this? How many clamps do ya recommend?
  3. any other recommendations are appreciated. also don't mind spending more if the value is there.
Edit: Was also looking into these, although a little more than I wanted to spend -
SB Acoustics Micro ($495) - https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/sb-acoustics-micro-2-way-speaker-kit-pair/ or the
SB ACoustics Micro C ($645) - https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-way-speaker-kit-pair-complete-with-cabinets/

Last edited:

badspeakerdesigner

There's not really any comparison between the JBL and the copperheard, the JBL will be several orders of magnitude better. It's also probably going to outperform the two SB kits listed.

DIY is more about the fun and frustration of building things and learning how it all works, it's a pretty terrible investment cost wise.

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Micro sounds a bit forward to me, and needs a little more tweeter attenuation.
The Micro C is an outstanding sounding little speaker that can hold its own.

I have not heard the Copperheads, but the driver in them sounds pretty smooth and easy as it sits. I've heard it in various other implementations.

If you are not opposed to a design without the cabinets, there are many out there. A recently published one is the Small Batch by Keith Etheredge, and it sounds very good for desktop use and more. Some classics by Scott Sehlin (Mudjock) are the Rhodium and Helium designs. Duane Brown's 'Dayton 4' design should be heard to be believed. My Synchaeta design also qualifies.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
wondering about the sound quality, I was also thinking of just getting a pair of 306P MkII ($340)

Maybe buy a pair of those to listen to while you are building, then you can see how a DIY at that level compares with a very good (if ugly) little monitor.

The JBLs kick serious butt at that price.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe buy a pair of those to listen to while you are building, then you can see how a DIY at that level compares with a very good (if ugly) little monitor.

The JBLs kick serious butt at that price.
Yeah, it's tough to beat the value of the JBLs. I'm all for DIY (obviously) but sometimes the dollar value isn't there. Great hobby, though.

Top Bottom